Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just have a few questions/concerns towards my 3-month old puppy.

1. She doesn't listen as much anymore. I'm not sure if that's normal, but whenever I call her name she doesn't respond and come to me as well or as fast as she use to. I go through tricks and training with her twice a day, but whenever we're in the front yard so she can use the restroom, she doesn't obey. Some times she even tries to run into the road. I'm so scared that she'll get hit some day, but she won't listen when I call her! Any suggestions? I know I can just use a leash, but I was hoping for any other type of solution.

2. Being aggressive/nervous around big dogs. Even when she herself is GOING to be a big dog, she gets so scared. Whenever a big dog barks or anything, she flips out and starts pulling at the leash to get away. But she LOVES little dogs, even though they don't like her back. Once we ran into a 6-month old golden retriever puppy that was a bit excited, and for some reason my dog started growling and barked a bit. I think it was more nervous-ness than being aggressive, but still. Will she outgrow that? Or should I be concerned that she'll have a problem with other dogs?

3. She's tearing things apart in the house when I'm not with her. She'll get into the trash can, the plants, ANYTHING and start making a big mess around the house. I bought her a carrier because of this, so that she can sleep in it and be in there when I'm not home. But how do you punish a dog that made such a mess long before I got home? I feel like I didn't really put my point across that what she did was bad.

Also, I know I can take her to obedience courses, but I don't have the money to spend on that right now. Eventually it'll happen, but in the meantime any other alternatives would be nice. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hello all! I just have a few questions/concerns towards my 3-month old puppy.

1. She doesn't listen as much anymore. I'm not sure if that's normal, but whenever I call her name she doesn't respond and come to me as well or as fast as she use to. I go through tricks and training with her twice a day, but whenever we're in the front yard so she can use the restroom, she doesn't obey. Some times she even tries to run into the road. I'm so scared that she'll get hit some day, but she won't listen when I call her! Any suggestions? I know I can just use a leash, but I was hoping for any other type of solution.

2. Being aggressive/nervous around big dogs. Even when she herself is GOING to be a big dog, she gets so scared. Whenever a big dog barks or anything, she flips out and starts pulling at the leash to get away. But she LOVES little dogs, even though they don't like her back. Once we ran into a 6-month old golden retriever puppy that was a bit excited, and for some reason my dog started growling and barked a bit. I think it was more nervous-ness than being aggressive, but still. Will she outgrow that? Or should I be concerned that she'll have a problem with other dogs?

3. She's tearing things apart in the house when I'm not with her. She'll get into the trash can, the plants, ANYTHING and start making a big mess around the house. I bought her a carrier because of this, so that she can sleep in it and be in there when I'm not home. But how do you punish a dog that made such a mess long before I got home? I feel like I didn't really put my point across that what she did was bad.

Also, I know I can take her to obedience courses, but I don't have the money to spend on that right now. Eventually it'll happen, but in the meantime any other alternatives would be nice. :) Thanks!
If you are that close to the road and she is only 3 months...use a leash. You can train her as she gets older for a better recall. It doesn't happen over night and I still wouldn't completely trust any dog off leash that might chase something or fail on the most important recall. Dogs go through different stages and will test every boundary given to them. You as the leader have to set those boundaries. Obedience classes are beneficial for both you and the puppy. It will train you on how to train your puppy, give your puppy mental exercise, and socialize the puppy. The issue with other dogs is probably from a lack of socialization and this takes places during certain ages...if you miss that age bracket, it still can be done, but will be harder to do so IMO. Yes you should be concerned and yes you need to get her socialized. As far as tearing up the house...she needs more mental and physical exercise. Training sessions can be done 3-4 times a day but at short intervals. Physical exercise also needs to be done daily. There is a balance between the two and only you can figure that out. I also wouldn't advise that a 3 month old puppy be left alone with run of the house. This is where a crate would come in handy, for potty training and safety for the pup purposes.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
3. You really can not punish a dog for anything you don't see them do. This is why tethering and crate training are so important to young pups - or any other kind of confinement, really. With pups, it really isn't about teaching them - yeah, yeah, I know, 'sit' and 'down' are teaching. Most of the household manners stuff isn't really any kind of educating. It's preventing them from doing things you *don't* want done, and allowing opportunities for them to do what you *do* want them to do. Ie: You don't want stuff torn up, you remove access and opportunity from everything you don't want torn up, and provide access to, and only to, the legal toys. So, basically, eyes on her or her confined to a place without opportunity to get into trouble. All the time. Like every. single. second. No punishment - unless you want to whack yourself with a newspaper for failing to supervise enough (I have a puppy - I am joking with you, but seriously, supervision and management is what this is down to.)

2. Totally normal. Big dogs are scary, rude dogs are scary and there's nothing wrong a puppy giving a 'get out of my face' warning. She'll get more comfortable with them, with time.

1. Don't let your dog off leash outside a fence, especially near a road, until or unless she has a danged good recall. We're talking years, here. I know, not what you want to hear, but um. Road. Car. Puppy. Your puppy's not going to win that one, and she's not going to have a reliable attention span before she's 2. Just use the leash.

As for the actual 'listening' - gotta make it worth her time and gotta do baby steps. Put her on a leash. Step 2 feet away. Say come. Hold out treat. When she takes two steps, to you, give her the treat and praise. Repeat. Next day, try four steps. You're not seeing her 'refusing to listen', you're seeing her age out of the 'follow mommy' instinct that works in your favor, and she hasn't learned 'come' means anything. So - teach her.

·
Registered
583 Posts
MishaMeesh ,

You will need to crate your puppy and not let have run of the house. Use a 6 foot leash and flat buckle collar when outside to play or potty. Puppies go through fear periods and seem to forget everything they know. You will need to work on regular crate training and some puppy obedience along the way. I would put the crate where dog is with you at night. Check out the sticky posts at the top of dog training forum.

Check this book out a library......http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Art_of_Raising_a_Puppy.html?id=lXspe7Z0jboC

Keep dog with you on leash while in house , play games , go potty , for walks and enjoy training your puppy.

There are many games you can play with your pup , just make it fun.

Best , old hounddog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3. You really can not punish a dog for anything you don't see them do. This is why tethering and crate training are so important to young pups - or any other kind of confinement, really. With pups, it really isn't about teaching them - yeah, yeah, I know, 'sit' and 'down' are teaching. Most of the household manners stuff isn't really any kind of educating. It's preventing them from doing things you *don't* want done, and allowing opportunities for them to do what you *do* want them to do. Ie: You don't want stuff torn up, you remove access and opportunity from everything you don't want torn up, and provide access to, and only to, the legal toys. So, basically, eyes on her or her confined to a place without opportunity to get into trouble. All the time. Like every. single. second. No punishment - unless you want to whack yourself with a newspaper for failing to supervise enough (I have a puppy - I am joking with you, but seriously, supervision and management is what this is down to.)

2. Totally normal. Big dogs are scary, rude dogs are scary and there's nothing wrong a puppy giving a 'get out of my face' warning. She'll get more comfortable with them, with time.

1. Don't let your dog off leash outside a fence, especially near a road, until or unless she has a danged good recall. We're talking years, here. I know, not what you want to hear, but um. Road. Car. Puppy. Your puppy's not going to win that one, and she's not going to have a reliable attention span before she's 2. Just use the leash.

As for the actual 'listening' - gotta make it worth her time and gotta do baby steps. Put her on a leash. Step 2 feet away. Say come. Hold out treat. When she takes two steps, to you, give her the treat and praise. Repeat. Next day, try four steps. You're not seeing her 'refusing to listen', you're seeing her age out of the 'follow mommy' instinct that works in your favor, and she hasn't learned 'come' means anything. So - teach her.
Ahhh, thank you so much. Everything you said was something I pretty much thought. :) So this put my mind at rest a bit, haha. And as for teaching her to 'come', you're very right. She's outgrowing following her mommy. D: BUT, I just tried teaching her to come, and she picked it up right away! But I'll be sure to use a leash still when taking her outside, so thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts