Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a 15 week old Maltese/Shih Tzu. Of course adorable, but I am going through a bit of frustration. He the minute we brought him home became a chewing machine. I have bought him tonnes of chewy toys, which he loves. But he loves peoples hands, hair, feet, every part. I have tried making a loud squeaking noise and he seems to get it with me and I say kisses, I put my hand down and he starts licking. But with everyone else in this house, he keeps on biting, not out of anger, just playing. I have tried other techniques that haven't worked. He also wants to chew on my carpets, my leather sofa has a hole in it, my baseboard as well took a good chewing. He also has moments where he seems to suddenly snap, he growls and tries to bit, something I have never seen in my previous dogs. Also, another issue is that I am having a hard time potty training him. I am not crate training, because I never had to before with other pups. Should I be doing that or is it too late? I take him out often, I can spend alot of time with him out there and we get inside he pee's on my bedroom carpet. He mostly pee's on the pads, but he will NOT poo on the pads. I do praise him when he does his duty outside and I give him a doggy treat. He is a very high energy dog, I assume that is the maltese in him. My sister had one and he was bonkers. PLEASE I beg for advice, should I be thinking about a dog trainer. I need to be taught how raise this kind of dog. Previously, I owned Lhasa Apso, which were both extremely intelligent dogs.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Haha, all puppies are rotten. You just don't remember. . .:p. He's a perfectly normal puppy, you just need to be patient and teach him gently so he grows up to be a nice dog.

Have you seen the stickies?
Biting: http://www.dogforums.com/first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html

Potty training: http://www.dogforums.com/first-time-dog-owner/3048-housetraining-how.html

You don't have to crate train but it would be easier. It would also keep him from chewing everything when you can't watch him. It doesn't have to be a crate. . .an exercise pen or small puppy-proofed room will do just as well. Just some way to safely confine him when unsupervised. It's not too late.

How much exercise does he get? How many walks per day?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I really hope you are right and that all this will change. He gets alot of exercise. We have a large fenced in yard and he runs marathons with the other dogs in the house. I know breeds have different habits, because with the two Lhasa's, potty training was within days, not weeks like this little guy. I think we name him appropriately. Marley, like the movie Marley and Me. He fits that dog to a tee, lol. Thanks for your advice, but I still wish I knew a better way to house train him. My sister is now living with us and has two Yorkies who pee on every throw rug, the deck, etc. I am worried he is going to pick up their bad habits.
Kim

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The main secret to potty training is supervision. If he's ever given a chance to go inside, he will, and it's a self-rewarding behavior. You have to make sure he never gets a chance to go inside, so going outside becomes an ingrained habit. But if you have 2 dogs going potty in the house, inside is going to smell like a good place to relieve himself. So I don't know how it's going to work. Your sister needs to supervise her dogs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts