Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home a doberman puppy, Ruger, who is now 9 weeks old. I have a 1.5 year old Giant Schnauzer, Doc, and a 6 year old Corgi, Tessa. We have 3 acres fully fenced but also have horses. Everytime we get a new puppy we keep them in a kennel, for their own safety, during the day when nobody is home to prevent them from being trampled by the horses. When someone is home puppies are always supervised when around the livestock and taught not to get into the corrals. When the puppy gets older and bigger, about 4 - 5 months, we allow them full access to the entire 3 acres. This has worked out great for the last 2 puppies.

This new doberman puppy, Ruger, is awful in the kennel. I took a week off when i brought him home to gradually introduce him to the kennel but he is horrible. I figured he would be like the other puppies i have had througout my lifetime and get over it after a couple days. Ruger however will bark for hours and occasionally bite at the fence. When someone gets home he is of course excited. We go into the kennel and make him calm down, sitting and quiet before he is touched then let out of the kennel. He does not have separation anxiety as when I am home I let him outside with the other dogs and check on them occasionally to make sure they are not around the horses. when he is in the house he will play in the front room while i am in the kitchen (out of sight) or going room to room doing laundry or anythinge else.

Is he just a little more stubborn than the other puppies I have and will eventually get over this or is there something I can do to stop this behavior. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Maybe he's bored. Can you put toys in the kennel (maybe ones with treats hidden in them)? Or yes, he could be stubborn and be one of those dogs that just barks in kennels all day long. I know he access to playtime, but maybe he wants some while in the kennel--but again that would suggest toys. It really sounds to me that he just is either 1) trying to seek attention or 2) is bored.

If it's number one, he should learn pretty quickly that when he's in there it's for his own good and he'll be let out soon. He may stop, he may not. Maybe he likes to bark. If it's number two, give him toys to occupy his mind with.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your suggestions. He has lots of toys and I also have put a kong with peanut butter in with him but none of the toys interest him when he is in the kennel. He also doesn't eat when he is in the kennel. It is kind of strange because he will walk right into the kennel following me. I think he is a bit stubborn and is going to take a little longer than the other dogs to get use to it.

This morning I went into the kennel with him in an attempt to get him to calm down and relax before I left instead of leaving him in such a stressed out state. I tried doing the Cesar Milan tricks with him to get him to calm down. It actually worked and I had him laying on his bed and inside his dog house relaxed before i exited the kennel, but once I exited he started again. I think it is going to just take some time.

THank you again for your response and warm welcome!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts