Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15-week-old dachshund/chihuahua mix that I've had for a little over a week now. I feed him in his crate, but as soon as I put down his food, he's a mess of barking and wriggling until I let him have it. I've been trying to have him calm down and sit before I let him have his food, but nothing works.

How can I make him sit patiently and quietly until I let him have his food?

·
Registered
740 Posts
He needs to learn that he needs to work before he gets food. Before you give him any kind of treat, attention, walk, play time, ask him for a simple sit. Eventually when you are preparing food, and he's seeing that you're not responding to his barking/wiggling, he will learn to sit first. If he doesn't calm down/sit, you likely aren't reinforcing this "work for food, work for play" rule enough in the other areas of his life.

Also, why are you putting the food down before he's in a sit position? Put the food where he can't see it (i.e. on the counter), and ask him for a sit (we don't want the food to become a bribe). When he sits, slowly bring the food down to him. If he gets up, say "ah ah!" and put the food back on the counter. He will learn his butt must be implanted on the ground before he gets his food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts