Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are both teachers and we purposefully waited to get a puppy until the end of our school year. She is a little mini schnauzer who is currently 10 weeks old. We crate her at night and I get up between 2 and 4 each morning to let her out and so far so good, only a few accidents in the house in the 3 weeks we've had her and no accidents in the crate. We both start work around the first week of sept so the pup will be about 14 or 15 weeks old then. My question is this, what is the best plan for leaving her during the day? We have 2 crates for her in 2 different rooms, one is just big enough for her to stand in and turn around, the other is for our 30 lb mix and is very large for our little 6 lb pup. She will be alone from around 6:30 in the morning until about 3 in the afternoon, is this too long to expect her to hold it? I'm worried about losing progress in her house training and also want to do whatever will be least stressful for her.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi there,
Thought I posted on this but it didn't show up haha!

You sound like you are me! I am also a teacher, and just got a black miniature schnauzer. His name is Merlin and he is 3 months old :)

What we are doing when I am back at school is having a dog walker come around 11-12 to walk Merlin for 20 minutes. We are lucky and have found someone who does it for 10/hour. You may be able to find a neighbour or if your school is close you can let her out at lunch.

Another option is using her crate attached to an exercise pen. This is not so desireable as you cannot reinforce your potty training. She will be able to poo/pee in her pen and keep her den tidy. I would only switch to that when she is fully trained and can hold for more than 3-4 hours.

Hope that helps!
MM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I hadn't thought about a dog walker. If we go that route we will have to start early as we have two other dogs who would need to learn to recognize the walker. Even though I've had 5 other dogs this is the first puppy we've ever had so we are still learning.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like a plan :)
Maybe the dog walker can even let out your other guys. I am sure they would appreciate it! ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also I request more pics of your lovely girl! :) She is SO cute!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts