Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am struggling with my new puppy a 6 month old (60# Lab) and my older maltese mix (20#). When the puppy first came the maltese wanted nothing to do with him and growled and bit at the puppy. We would keep them separate as much as possible. The puppy wanted to play constantly with the maltese and the maltese sometimes engaged in play but sometimes ran away or bit the puppy when it was too much. we would then again separate the dogs.
Now things have turned and the puppy goes up to the maltese and bites him hard until the maltese yelps and we separate them and tell the puppy "Leave it!" and then immediately put the puppy in the crate.
This is new, because the puppy never bit the other dog hard before. The puppy knows the leave it command now but has not perfected it yet. We have also been using water bottles to correct the behavior between the two dogs, which works temporarily.

I am worried that the 2 dogs will never get along. I don't want to always keep them separate because the puppy will never learn good behaviors but I am also worried about them together. We never leave them unsupervised, but sometimes I am unclear what is play and what is not. Some have suggested to let the dogs figure it out but I don't think that is a good idea.

Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
At some point before puppy starts biting he is too excited. Figure out what he is doing at that point and stop the game, long before the older dog yelps. He is probably getting excited and doesn't know how to calm down yet so step in and help. With one dog 10% the size of the other there are a limited number of games that are safe to play, you might figure out which ones are a good idea and which ones get too rough too fast. I'd think wrestling and tug would be hard for them. My sister's yorkie and doberman used to play bitey face with the yorkie on the bed and doberman standing on the floor, too cute.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.