Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Jack Russell cross. We decided he was getting a little lonely, so we decided to get him a friend. We haven't ever seen a breed like my dog before but she is the similar size, similar breed, but female. Now she is 9 months. The previous owners got rid of both dogs because of her not coping because of ( 5 children ).
I took my dog up to see Tilly and they got on great. Next day she moved in. She has settled well and they seem to be getting on ok BUT ....

She is very playful and wants to play with my older dog ... She talks to him, play fights with him and runs off, but he just barks at her and when they are both close she's running around him and he kind of snarls, barks and dogs and i guess you could say she submits? ( lays on her back while in stands over her ) ... He growls when she comes close to him.

Is this normal behavior between the two? ( and for my older dog to act like that ) ? .. She has been here for 2 days now.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I can only tell you this; my three dogs act just like that as they play. I sometimes think they are really mad at each other as the big pup will sometimes put the little dogs entire neck in her mouth. Then the little dog growls and shows his teeth and plays submissive rolling over on to his back. I would think there be a real difference in the growling and the body language of a dog who is not appreciative of the advances of the other dog. I can tell the difference but not sure I can put into words the body language you need to look for. I will leave that up to another forum member who can. Two of my dogs are 5 years old and 20 pounds and under. The pup is over 50 pounds and still growing. I am very cautious as they are playing. When in doubt they get a time-out.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. My dogs play pretty rough, too, and they're a mini-dachshund and a chihuahua-dachshund mix. The chihuahua-dachshund mix is a bit smaller, and a lot rougher! She wants to play more than the other dog and will pester him, play bow, bark, run circles around him. Sometimes the other dog, Harper, will play with her. But, sometimes he'll nip or growl a bit to say, no, not now. But, you can definitely tell the difference between a play growl, a communication growl, or a mean, aggressive growl.

My guess, the older dog was fine playing with and meeting the younger, but now that she's moved in, he's not so sure. Plus, he wants his own space and time to himself, as he's older and was there first. So, he may be ok with her there, but doesn't always want to be bothered. He's just teaching her manners.

Make sure you always supervise their time together, and give each dog one on one time with you, like for training and walks...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts