Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am getting a Collie puppy probably around June. By then I will have been in my apartment for about 1.5-2 months. I have had dogs apart of my family my whole life, so dog ownership is not new to me. What will be new is having a dog in an apartment and jugging my full time job. I would like some advice on a variety of things with puppy life in apartments such as how to control barking, potty training, socialization, and anything on those lines.

Some other things to consider about my situation:
I am able to come my apartment during my lunch hour as I live 5-10 min away from work. Also, I plane to crate train, which I plan to build one of those doggie dens (nice wood kennel that resembles furniture). I plan to be very active with the dog, going on daily walks (my apartment has a nature preserve nearby) and going to dog parks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It sounds good EXCEPT for dog parks. There is not love nor money enough in the world for me to stress my dog at a dog park (or risk my dog at a dog park).

The only other thing I suggest is some training classes. Socialization is NOT playing with other dogs and people, it is being around other dogs and people and not caring because your dog is paying attention to YOU. You can get quite a lot of this at training classes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the best bet for potty training would be using a crate. For socialization, once he’s had his shots, I’d sign up for a good puppy training class. Great way to help train your dog as well as get him introduced to other dogs and learn how to behave. As said above, I would advise against dog parks, especially as a puppy. Too many horror stories I’ve heard/seen. Lots of people have untrained or misbehaved dogs and just don’t watch them. Also, there’s been instances of people poisoning dogs at dog parks. We just stay away from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Will definitely look into puppy training classes! Also regarding the dog park, I didn't mean for it to come off as I was going to take him/her as a puppy (it will be significantly older if we go). My other dogs I have had just loved the dog park, but I know all dogs are different and some don't do well in those scenarios.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So sorry if the dog park–puppy comment came off the wrong way! That wasn’t my intention. I just meant it the way you had clarified in your last comment. It’s great if you’ve had good experiences at the dog park, I’m just going based off of my own experiences :p

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Be careful with the wooden crate. Some dogs would see that as a giant chew toy. Wood is fun to chew, and new puppies might paw at the wood and learn that chunks come off if they chew hard enough! Consider getting a regular metal crate when puppy is little, those are less fun to chew. When puppy is older and not likely to chew on furniture or their crate, then the nice wooden one might be an option and you can use the metal one for travel. I can't imagine a wooden crate would be at all portable, and you might need something if you stay at someone's house or do dog sports.

Puppies are going to bark at first with the crate training, so you may want to make some goodies and give them to your neighbors and explain you are training a new puppy. Also, stuffed Kongs are a good pacifier and help calm the puppy.

For potty training, make sure to take puppy out frequently! Allow time to get out of your apartment and to the potty area if there's a bit of a stroll to get there. Carry puppy up and down stairs if there are a lot, as too many stairs can injure puppy joints.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Ooh a collie!! You said “around June”....are you already on the list with a breeder?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I am! I am so excited and love the breeder. He/She should be about 10-12 weeks old the time they are able to be picked up. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoping for sable (its what I invision when I think of a collie), but honestly all the colors are great and I can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Hoping for sable (its what I invision when I think of a collie), but honestly all the colors are great and I can't go wrong with any of them.
Ive had four shelties and sables are my least fave LOL. First was a tri, second a blue merle. My two girls were sable, one “regular” one mahogany.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts