Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to make of this. Our now almost 7 month old black lab puppy has been around a lot of other dogs, he has always been playful and never has shown any kind of aggression in any way. We also have n 11 year old black lab who is never aggressive to the puppy. Yesterday some one we kind of know stoped by on his walk with his 4 1/2 month old black lab puppy. He has stopped by before and our puppies have interacted maybe 2 or 3 times. Yesterday he stopped by and we were out back with the puppies and they were running around chasing each other, sniffing each other ect. Our puppy is very much into playing ball so we got out his ball to throw it since the puppy was playing with our other dog at this time. We started throwing the ball and his puppy would run along side our puppy and not try to take the ball but just run close and he would put his head by our puppies head. Just playful not trying to take the ball, not trying to knock him over or anything. Well after a bit, the puppies were standing there and our puppy had his ball he turned and growled what sounded aggressively and showed his teeth to the other puppy, the other puppy just walked a few steps away and layed down Then got up shortly after and started runnng with our puppy again and nothing everything seemed fine. We stopped throwing the ball and he was dropping his ball near the other puppy and me but this worries me, should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Your pup may be resource guarding the ball, but it's hard to tell without seeing it. The pup may also have been irritating your dog and your dog corrected the puppy. Or, they may have been playing. Some dogs do growl and show teeth, or air snap while they're playing. It's sometimes difficult to tell.

If your dog highly values the ball, I probably would not play with the ball around other dogs, just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
One toy plus two dogs is a recipe for a fight. You need more than one toy (like 3 or 4) or (better) no toys out there with two puppies.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My dog started that at 7 months also. Petco banned us from puppy playtime.
An experienced dog person watched it and said that our dog was behaving properly; the other was getting in her face and that was bad manners. She was not aggressive; she was responding to aggression. That was a year ago; she still won't tolerate pushy dogs.
As someone here pointed out at the time; dogs don't have to like other dogs as long as they like people.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
gosh if I read it right everyone involved did it right.. older pup growled to the pup and the pup backed off and went and laid down. right? not seeing anything but straight forward communication that was given at a proper level and received directly.

ya all the above that balls can cause scuffles and stuff.. but your older pup (to me) didn't do anything wrong, dogs gain confidence that they can have a voice and be successful around other dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. My dog will go up and try to get a ball from another dog at the dog park and it'll growl at him so he just moves on to the next dog. Some dogs get a bit territorial with their toys but I wouldn't worry much. My general rule: as long as their tails are wagging during play they're good. When one starts to growl the other should learn to back off. They tell each other things like that and your puppy and his friends will learn their boundaries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts