Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going through a lot of aggression threads trying to get an answer for my own problem, not only could I not find something of value, but I see how threads get Really long. So I'll make my question as quick as possible, less BS more to the point.

I have a 7 month pit-bull cross puppy. He is very good in all aspects except for one, his aggressive "playing" behaviour with other dogs.

I'm not going into much detail so that I could maybe get some help, if more detail is needed I will provide.

A lot of the threads I read people seem to say "i'm sure a trainer can help" or something along those lines. I understand that they totally could, but I don't have $100 to spit out for an hour session when the trainer says it would take 6-10 sessions. Insanity!!

I keep him on a leash and try to have him meet dogs nicely and quickly before he can get excited and move along. But if I ever let him off leash to play, he gets a little too vicious for my comfort...

Yes I neutered him hoping that would help..

Thanks for your replys in advance.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I assume you read the posts regarding what good play looks like...how even with good play (role reversals, etc.) it can be rough, tumble and noisy.....and also assume that you're not seeing that kind of play.

Then, it's an early socialization issue ie; didn't get the opportunity to learn how to play nicely with other dogs....meeting on neutral ground..having good role models/well socialized dogs to learn from. You can certainly do that at this age...one good dog at a time. It also helps to have a really good recall for the times when things look like they're getting too heated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any recommendations for recalling?? When he is distracted by something, it's sometimes hard to get him to come.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Do you have any recommendations for recalling?? When he is distracted by something, it's sometimes hard to get him to come.
Until he has a solid recall, which must be trained from step one in several locations before it will be solid or reliable, you have to keep a long line attached to his collar at all times that you are supervising him (never when he's alone). This way you have a way to make sure he comes when called. If he gets away with ignoring you, you have inadvertently taught him that coming to you is optional. You never give any command you can't enforce.

It is possible, being a Pit mix that he is or will become dog aggressive. It's just part of the breed's makeup as it is with many other terriers also. That does not mean tolerating fights but just a heads up that he might not be a good candidate for a doggy play group, or the dog park. Of course this does not apply to every pitbull (or mix) but it often does. And, btw, DA has nothing to do with human aggression by a dog.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What do you mean when you say he gets to viscous? I thought my pup Rocko was playing a little to rough (pit mix) so I let him and Jinx go at it last night. He was growling and biting, hackles raised... and she did it right back :p I can see now that neither one of them would intentionally hurt the other. But to me it just seemed really aggressive...

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I agree working on recall and the long line can help in teaching him to "leave" play and come to you.
I would also suggest that at seven months this is likely adolescent testing of limits..at adolescence they suddenly seem to stop "hearing" their owners and start testing other dog's responses to them.
Bully breeds are very rough players, playtime with dogfriendly older dogs with similar playstyles is important. Sometimes they are just not good to play with smaller, less tenacious players.
Dog aggression USUALLY does not occur in these breed types until they are older, if at all.
Even ONE session with a trainer (a good one) for an ASSESSMENT may be worthwhile. Many owners think they are looking at aggression when it is just rough play and vice versa. Having an experienced eye look at his "style" can give you an idea of where to start with training/beh mod on your own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts