Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!!
First piece of advise being sought.
I firstly have to define the situation in full.

1) We took in a puppy who was abandoned in a forest at the age of 4 weeks
2) It seems to be a cross labrador breed (not sure of the cross)
3) I am working at home
4) We live in Greece, so the summer nights are hot (30+)
5) VET says no outside walks until final injections (2 months away)
6) Live in a small flat
7) Food is given at 6am / 1pm / 8pm and is Hills Science Plan
8) ...any other info please ask!

OK, so we are not in the fifth week of taking this puppy in. The first two weeks were a nightmare. We had it in the living room all night and it didn't sleep. We have now bought a travel cage and it gets placed in there in the night, and placed in the kitchen. The problem there is that it is the hottest room in the house, and we close the door to stop the noise of it crying.
So, we have bought it several toys to play with. Some chewing and some normal. It seems to spend a great deal of the hot days, here in Greece, sleeping and is only active mainly at night.
It still tries to chew everything, and tries to get on the sofa. I have read many things to stop it doing this. Water squirter, tabasco sauce, lemon juice, thumb under the tongue, etc. Some have success, but not constant.
It seems to get very excited after eating.
It has a good temperament, but seems to want to bark and growl when you try to train it to do something that it doesn't like.
We have found the toilet training is going well. And we treat her when she does her wee on paper we are slowly moving to the balcony. However, she doesn't want to do stools on the same paper, and will do that wherever.
The main question is this: As I work at home and I need to rest in the evening to deal with work and the puppy, I have to find a way to get it to sleep as much of the night as possible.
People suggest exercise before bed to get it tired. we tried this all day yesterday, and it awoke at 4am after going to sleep at 1am.
Nothing that the internet I have read has seemed to work consistently, so am seeking a way to try and encourage the dog to sleep more in the night than the day.
Any advise would be helpful.
ps: I am wondering if the food mix is too strong for it and stimulates it too much, and we give the wrong program?

Thanks in advance and await for help :)

Honey!!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
My answers are in BOLD in the body of your post....

Hi all!!
First piece of advise being sought.
I firstly have to define the situation in full.

1) We took in a puppy who was abandoned in a forest at the age of 4 weeks
Congratulations on your new puppy and TY for rescuing the little guy. Getting a dog this young may have a set of problems all its own.. but time will tell (things like bite inhibition)
2) It seems to be a cross labrador breed (not sure of the cross)
3) I am working at home
4) We live in Greece, so the summer nights are hot (30+)
5) VET says no outside walks until final injections (2 months away)
Yes. Very important if you are in a country where most dogs are not vaccinated or there are a lot of strays.
6) Live in a small flat
7) Food is given at 6am / 1pm / 8pm and is Hills Science Plan
Better food out there, but this is adequate. Not sure what is available in your country and if this is working well, stay with it.
8) ...any other info please ask!

OK, so we are not in the fifth week of taking this puppy in. The first two weeks were a nightmare. We had it in the living room all night and it didn't sleep. We have now bought a travel cage and it gets placed in there in the night, and placed in the kitchen. The problem there is that it is the hottest room in the house, and we close the door to stop the noise of it crying.

It is very important to never let the puppy out of the crate for separation crying. It is also very important to take a puppy this age out every hour to pee and poop. The rule of thumb is 1 hour of holding pee and poop for every month of age. You want the puppy to learn to NOT pee and poop where it sleeps. An 8 week old puppy cannot hold it more than 2 hours. Full bladder control does not happen at this age.. this is a very young dog. 4 months or so before full bladder control happens.

So, we have bought it several toys to play with. Some chewing and some normal. It seems to spend a great deal of the hot days, here in Greece, sleeping and is only active mainly at night.
Because it is cooler at night. However, you can try to get your puppy active during the day by initiating play.

It still tries to chew everything, and tries to get on the sofa. I have read many things to stop it doing this. Water squirter, tabasco sauce, lemon juice, thumb under the tongue, etc. Some have success, but not constant.

No no no.. no need to use stuff like tobasco, lemon juice or thumb under the tongue.. Yikes.. why would you WANT to hurt your puppy? Get something like a Rubber Kong toy and fill it with peanut butter and freeze it.. or even offer your puppy ice cubes to chew on... when your puppy chews on something bad it is because you have not watched him and kept those things away from him. Redirect him to appropriate things to chew on. Do NOT hurt him with your hands (thumb under the tongue!!) or you can get him afraid of your hands and afraid to let you handle his mouth. If he goes off and chews things he should not, tie him to you with a cord so he is ALWAYS in sight.. and pick up and remove any and all things you do not want him to chew on.

As to getting on the furniture, I reward the dog for getting OFF the furniture and block him from getting on in the first place (no need to build a habit I do not want). And, because you NEVER leave your puppy alone he will not get on the furniture because you will not let him get on the furniture. (Puppies are a LOT of work)

It seems to get very excited after eating.

Normal. He will probably need to poop about 1/2 hour after eating so you can use that to start house breaking. Use this time to play iwth him if he is active then

It has a good temperament, but seems to want to bark and growl when you try to train it to do something that it doesn't like.

He may be playing. It sounds like it. How are you training him and what are you doing? Take a look at this site to learn how to train your puppy: www.clickertraining.com

We have found the toilet training is going well. And we treat her when she does her wee on paper we are slowly moving to the balcony. However, she doesn't want to do stools on the same paper, and will do that wherever.

In my experience, dogs do not train well to wee pads or paper. I think if you get your puppy on a schedule feeding you will know when she is going to poop.. and take her out to the balcony for that job (if that is ultimately going to be her toilet area). Cover the entire floor or a large section of it with paper and leash her so she can only go on the paper and stay out there with her. Most dogs do not like to pee close to where they poop when you do use papers.

The main question is this: As I work at home and I need to rest in the evening to deal with work and the puppy, I have to find a way to get it to sleep as much of the night as possible.
People suggest exercise before bed to get it tired. we tried this all day yesterday, and it awoke at 4am after going to sleep at 1am.

Again, it sounds like too many hours in the crate and she needs to get out and poop or pee. You need to get up every two hours all night for a bit.. gradually lengthening the time between going out until she is in the crate and sleeps all night. For a dog to do this for 6 hours she needs to be 6 months old. I will say mine made it almost 8 hours atr 6 months old and yours may too.. but the rule of thumb is one hour for every month of age.

Nothing that the internet I have read has seemed to work consistently, so am seeking a way to try and encourage the dog to sleep more in the night than the day.
Any advise would be helpful.
ps: I am wondering if the food mix is too strong for it and stimulates it too much, and we give the wrong program?

Thanks in advance and await for help :)

Honey!!
Not sure if this helps.. just keep asking questions. Do not expect to much too soon with a baby puppy. They are babies just like human infants.. so it all takes time.

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Honey is beautiful !
Lab puppies can be some of the most challenging pups to raise, but some of the most wonderful dogs... if you survive :)

See the two free books: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

As far as the food, see if Hills has a puppy formula, and a Large-Dog puppy formula would be better for Labs.

1. See the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here ... To help with nipping. This is a big problem with Labs, but there are very good solutions ... more detail at the bottom of this post.
2. Invite some friendly people over to help socialize you pup with people ... 4 - 8 at a time, and let them feed, pet, handle, train the pup. Shoot for 100 people in one month!
3. After all the shots, do the same with dogs.
4. Start training now - Sit, Down, Stay, Come, her name:Honey .... Teach her to bark on cue.
5. You must puppy proof the house so she doesn't have inappropriate things to chew... Get her some hard rubber bones and a small frozen Kong stuffed with kibble and peanut butter for now. Labs are chewing machines, so you don't want to stop it, just re-direct it to appropriate toys (only one or two at a time).
6. :) I strongly recommend that you do not squirt your Lab --- They love it ! :)
7. Dogs want to stay clean, and you are fortunate that she was old enough to 'understand.' She will not want to poop on soiled areas, so keep clean areas for her. This is difficult at this age, but will get much better when she is 6 mos. Persist.
8. You might consider putting an inexpensive box fan in the kitchen to help cool at night. Note, she will chew it or the cord, if she can get to it !
9. Altho the pup will sleep during the day, try to keep her active in the afternoon, to improve her sleep cycle. Also, exercise her for 10 -15 just before bedtime and it may help. A 9 week pup may wake up once or twice at night for about another month or so --- Sorry.
10. Don't let her chew on anything except her toys. Don't feed people food. Don't give her tidbits while you are eating, because she will learn to beg.
11. Getting excited after potty and after eating is normal. It can be a good time for active training.

Bite Inhibition to reduce nipping and biting:
Some Tweaks to Bite Inhibition (to get her to stop biting when she wants to play):
Some tweaks to that method: (Everyone has to yelp for every bite.)
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw... don't step on his paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. SHe'll bite, again.
2. When she bites the second time, Yelp. When she stops, praise and pet. SHe'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When she bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If she comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. Accept it, praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip...
4. When she bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing her in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving her. Then, return and interact. (SHe's still hungry...for human flesh)
5. When she nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Pups need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice signficant Bite Inhibition. SHe may still nip, but it will be softer and she won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your comments.
I have stopped the tabasco for now. Started removing stuff that it chews (mainly a set of antique chairs, oups!!) and no thumb.
The paper training works very well now as we bought some puppy treats and reward her when she does on the paper.
The poo is still an issue. She wont do in the same places as the wee, or on paper. She runs around a while sniffing and then does it in random places.
We clean with diluted chlorine the entire house (marble floors in Greece, which is a blessing!!!) every two days and the toilet spots every time it does it's duty. It is slowly learning to do it outside on the balcony. The issue is we don't have a garden. So we are locked in all day.

We will persist, as I don't give up easy :)))

Thanks again

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys!!
Just to give you an update.
Honey is ten weeks (maybe eleven) and has turned out very well.
She wee's on paper (due to training with a treat)
She is now going for walks (four times a day) and poos mainly outside.
Most of her biting has stopped due to training with the 'picking up' method I read in the pdf download.
All together the days are a lot more relaxed.
The only thing is she still wakes at around 5.30-6am

She is also retrieving toys based on names I have give them. Like chew rope, small dog (soft toy), large dog.

Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ahhhhh, congrats! It's good to hear things have improved so much for you! I have a new puppy too (he is about 13 weeks now, and I've had him for almost 3 weeks), and he comes with his large list of puppy terrorizing tendencies too. Good to know things will improve, haha!

Most of her biting has stopped due to training with the 'picking up' method I read in the pdf download.
That's really good! Although, I've read from a lot of places that it's good to stop the biting, but you will still want to set up situations where he can nip you so you can practice bite inhibition with your puppy. If you do this, then even if he accidentally bites you when he's an adult, it will be a much softer bite and won't break skin. So, what you can do is hand feed him some of his meals, and purposely curl your fingers a little so it's easy for him to nip you a little (but it wouldn't be an intentional bite). When he does, yelp like a wounded puppy and turn away for 5 seconds, then turn around again and keep feeding as if nothing happened. Apparently this is how puppies teach each other to not bite too hard when playing.

The only thing is she still wakes at around 5.30-6am
Mine did that too for the first few nights when he was crated. He would wake up and whine. But I know he doesn't have to potty immediately since I cut off water at 9pm, and took him out between 10-11pm, so I just ignore the whining. Nowadays even if he wakes up early, he flips around a bit and goes back to sleep quietly till approximately 7am, which is when I start his day.

She is also retrieving toys based on names I have give them. Like chew rope, small dog (soft toy), large dog.
That's awesome! Would you mind sharing how you got him to learn to retrieve? I've been trying to teach Marcus that, but I've had zero luck with it so far, haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts