Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Well...I really think it was a bad idea to get a puppy, especially if no one is home for 10+ hours a day but what's done is done.
Are you leaving the two dogs alone together? If so, I would strongly recommend keeping them separated when you cannot supervise them. This will give your older dog alone time and will keep both dogs safe.
Have you been spending time with both dogs separately? Are you rewarding the older dog for good behaviour when she's with the pup? Are you correcting the puppy if she is irritating the older dog?

Nothing will improve on its own. You really need to work with both dogs and help them build their relationship.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Please separate them until you can fully trust them together. You say the older dog is territorial about the couch. The pup may not be able to jump up on it yet, but you never know how long "yet" will last. What would happen if the pup somehow scrambled up on the couch? No one would be there to intervene. I just wouldn't take any chances. Instead of putting them in separate rooms, you could crate the pup in the living room, but 10+ hours is far too long for a puppy to be crated. Is there anyone who could come in once or twice during the day to take the dogs out?

The crate is also good for spending one on one time with the older dog. After they have a short play session and the older one looks like she's had enough, crate the pup for half an hour and just spend time with the older dog. Then bring the pup back out and spend time with them together.
Walking them together can help with the bonding as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.