Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Quite in a funk today because I’ve been having some issues with my pup jasper. He is 6 months old and a super mutt breed. I recently got back from a 3 day vacation and my dad was watching him and my other dog willow. I came back today to him suddenly growling, snapping, and biting me when I would try to hug him as I usually do, and when I would try to move him. He would growl, snarl his face and then bite my hand while not hard he did go for my hands. When I would try and scoot him he would do the same. And when I hugged him a little tight he would go crazy. He has always been fiesty but this was very extra and I’m very worried. I’m too scared to even pick him up for the fear that he will keep on doing it. This is extremely upsetting to me because my other dog is people reactive and that has been very hard to deal with and I don’t know if I could handle having another dog with behavioral issues. I promise you these dogs are so very loved and I would never do anything to make him scared of me at least not that I can think of. I just don’t know what to do. He still gives me a lot of kisses and is being so nice to me but I think he has it confused that he can’t do these things.

·
Banned
166 Posts
How is it behaving with your father? I'm thinking along the lines that in the short time you was on vacation, the dog has super bonded with your father. If that's the case, rest assured the dog will quickly re-bond with you...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is it behaving with your father? I'm thinking along the lines that in the short time you was on vacation, the dog has super bonded with your father. If that's the case, rest assured the dog will quickly re-bond with you...
My dad said he didn’t act the way he has been acting with me at all. My dad completely spoils them so that could be the case! Though It just seems to be getting worse...

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
I'd consider running him by a vet in case there's something going on that might be making him uncomfortable or painful when being handled, and more cranky overall. Seems like quite a sudden change, and that always makes me want to rule out medical.

·
Registered
678 Posts
While I absolutely agree with DaySleepers that the first step is to have a vet rule out pain or other physical/medical issues with an abrupt behavioral change, you need to keep in mind that (generally speaking) dogs do NOT like to be hugged. Many dogs also don't like to be physically 'scooted' (ie - repositioned and manipulated by human hands). He might have been tolerating these things by you up to this point, but now (for whatever reason) he has decided 'enough is enough' and step up his communications with you that he doesn't enjoy it.
Perhaps it's that he was stressed by your absence & thus is extra intolerant right now. Even if he had 'fun' staying with your father, he could just be tired & short tempered. Although, if this is the case, it would be good to make note of the fact that hugging/holding is a stressor for him in general, and such behavior on your part could exacerbate other stress in his environment.
I'd suggest laying off the hugs, at least for a while, and working on cooperative care techniques as well as training him to move/reposition on cue, rather than manipulating him. He's either physically or mentally uncomfortable with these things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I absolutely agree with DaySleepers that the first step is to have a vet rule out pain or other physical/medical issues with an abrupt behavioral change, you need to keep in mind that (generally speaking) dogs do NOT like to be hugged. Many dogs also don't like to be physically 'scooted' (ie - repositioned and manipulated by human hands). He might have been tolerating these things by you up to this point, but now (for whatever reason) he has decided 'enough is enough' and step up his communications with you that he doesn't enjoy it.
Perhaps it's that he was stressed by your absence & thus is extra intolerant right now. Even if he had 'fun' staying with your father, he could just be tired & short tempered. Although, if this is the case, it would be good to make note of the fact that hugging/holding is a stressor for him in general, and such behavior on your part could exacerbate other stress in his environment.
I'd suggest laying off the hugs, at least for a while, and working on cooperative care techniques as well as training him to move/reposition on cue, rather than manipulating him. He's either physically or mentally uncomfortable with these things.
I completely agree with your reply Thankyou!! Funny thing is he’s not doing it anymore today. I think the 3 days I was gone he didn’t get any walks because I didn’t trust my dad to walk them without one of them getting off the leash, so that could have also been pent up energy that he had. I am going to start to train him better to get off of the bed and couch when I tell him to.
I'd consider running him by a vet in case there's something going on that might be making him uncomfortable or painful when being handled, and more cranky overall. Seems like quite a sudden change, and that always makes me want to rule out medical.
I thought the same! It was very weird especially since I would just squeeze his over all back and tummy area when I hugged him or I would try and scoot him. I’m going to call my vet. Thankyou for your reply!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.