Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm wondering if the welping box is too big. The 2 seek old puppies are peeing everywhere. I've tried to seperate sleeping area from eliminatin area. Mom just licks it up and the pups have no clue. What's normal?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
2 week old puppies have no control over their bodily functions and are too young to use a separate area. At this age Mom cleans up. As for what age to start encouraging them to use a separate area, I'm not positive. Do you have a breeding mentor who can give more personalized advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 week old puppies have no control over their bodily functions and are too young to use a separate area. At this age Mom cleans up. As for what age to start encouraging them to use a separate area, I'm not positive. Do you have a breeding mentor who can give more personalized advice?
I've read on other sites that at 2 weeks, you should start to encourage puppies to have seperate areas for playing, sleeping, elimination, ..... The mother does clean it up but I was just asking! how will I learn if I don't ask? There is no such thing as a breeding mentor in my town.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've read on other sites that at 2 weeks, you should start to encourage puppies to have seperate areas for playing, sleeping, elimination, ..... The mother does clean it up but I was just asking! how will I learn if I don't ask? There is no such thing as a breeding mentor in my town.
So did you health test? And why did you breed?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What about your dog's breeder? If they sold you a breeding-quality dog they should be willing to help out. Even by e-mail.

I really don't think a 2-week-old pup has the mobility to go somewhere else to potty. Maybe around 3-4 weeks? I've never raised puppies but kittens usually start using a litterbox around that age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So did you health test? And why did you breed?
NO health test. Did not breed her. I have a feeling you people know nothing about rural life! Dogs are everywhere. Not every litter is planned out by a breeder.
Next time I'll explain myself better and I certainly won't come here with my questions.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I am giving advice. You didn't say she was a stray who was already pregnant. . .anybody who breeds their dog (or allows her to get pregnant) should have done enough research to know these things or should have a breeding mentor to help. But a drop-in like that is different, it's hard to be prepared under those circumstances!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.