Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and have had our puppy 'Hugo' for just over a month now and he is 3months old, we are doing well at house training and teaching him basic commands. He is lovely guy for must of the time, playing nicely and always happy to see me. However he seems to have a 'crazy time' every day where he bits at our feet and hands and arms and anywhere he can get his little teeth, and he bites really hard! We have tried to make a jelp and turn away/ stop playing with him/ ignor him but this dosent seem to work he just goes even more crazy and bites even harder. Its gets so bad that I have to go and hide in the bedroom until he has calmed down.

Now this is a far from ideal situation and I could really do with some good ideas of how to tackle this problem before it gets worse.

This is our first dog and we desperately want to do everything right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi,

... Its gets so bad that I have to go and hide in the bedroom until he has calmed down. ...
Have a look at this article: http://www.dogforums.com/first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html
Also, I would suggest to give the puppy chill out time and NOT hiding from him, that sends the wrong message. If things get too wild, pick him up and put him in his crate or another secure, but boring area / room. Send the message "Wanna play? Play nicely! or you don't play at all" to puppy. Also puppies at this age tend to be like human toddlers, they can throw a tantrum, get overexcited even or especially when tired etc. Observe and see what overexcites him and what calms him. Also provide a lot of safe chew toys, and re-direct him to those, hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts