Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my friends,
tomorrow,my friend will bring my puppy's sister to walk them together,and next week another friend will bring the mother and his other brother,so we walk the 4 of them,
my questions are:
- Will he know/recognize that these dogs are his family?
- What reaction Im gonna expect from them all(the 4 dogs)?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
- Will he know/recognize that these dogs are his family?
Not in the sense that we think of. Dogs don't have families. In the wild the mother dog would care for the puppies until they're weaned and possibly for a few months after that. After that, the dogs are on their own. The dog may recognize a familiar scent, but he's not going to to go, "Hey, that's my mom!" Nor is his mom going to get excited to meet a long lost child who's whereabouts she's always wondered about.

- What reaction Im gonna expect from them all(the 4 dogs)?
Same as you might expect from any two dogs that are semi-familiar with each other.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We ran into two dogs here that looked exactly like Baxter. Turns out one was Baxter's father and the other was Baxter's brother. That weekend, we had a "play date" with the father, brother, a sister, and Baxter.

The dad was aloof and doing his own thing. The sister followed Baxter around for a good ten minutes. The brother and Baxter trotted around for a while and played fetch.

I personally thought they just looked like a bunch of goldens playing, but the dad's owner was 100% certain that "they knew". I'm not so sure. :lol

(Brother, Father, Sister, Baxter)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm kind of excited to see the reaction that Zoey will have when we bring her new baby sister home. She's from the same mother as Zoey, but a different father, but I figure it will smell like her mom when we first bring her home. I'm wondering if she will remember it? I'd like to think that they do remember to some extent.. Obviously it won't be anything like any type of human family reunion, but it's interesting to think about.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm kind of excited to see the reaction that Zoey will have when we bring her new baby sister home. She's from the same mother as Zoey, but a different father, but I figure it will smell like her mom when we first bring her home. I'm wondering if she will remember it? I'd like to think that they do remember to some extent.. Obviously it won't be anything like any type of human family reunion, but it's interesting to think about.
Good thing too. Weird uncle would get drunk and start feeling up the nieces. Grandpa would bore everyone to death with his stories. Everyone would be sick of each other after 4-5 hours.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
After we found the breeder Jonas came from (We found him at a shelter, but he came with his AKC papers with the breeders name) we sent the breeder a letter about finding him in a shelter and they were very interested in meeting him and still had his mother and sister. Jonas is completely aloof with all dogs, but they went AT IT. Nasty and right from the second they met. Probably a fluke, but it was a strange experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts