Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this forum is not the place to ask medical advice... but I'm wondering if it would be wise to rush my puppies to the vet in this situation, or watch them carefully, make sure they stay well hydrated, and hold off taking them in unless something alarming happens.

Yesterday around 5am, I woke up to one of our nearly 11-week puppies vomiting. I cleaned it up and soothed him... but within the next 45 minutes or so, he vomited or dry-heaved probably another 5 times, until finally some kind of 2"-long dark cylindrical object came up (NO clue what that was). After that, no more vomiting and he was fine.

This morning, around the same time, the OTHER puppy began a series of vomiting and dry-heaving. Same story... he finally vomited up what looked like a 1.5" triangle of imitation pig ear (BAD parent; how did I let him ingest that??)... he had one more episode of dry heaving then was fine.

Other facts:
- Neither pup has vomited since
- No diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, or any other alarming symptoms whatsoever... they've been eating well and playing like crazy (although they're peacefully napping at the moment)
- They are staying well hydrated and have both eaten today
- Their second course of vax was a week ago, so I doubt it would be a reaction to that this late
- I started transitioning them to a better-quality food two days ago (from the Eukanuba Puppy that the breeder had them on, to Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul)
- I think I have been overdoing it on the training treats. One in particular, has "beef flavoring" (HOW did I miss that ingredient the first time??)... definitely will either phase those out or throw the rest away.

I realize puppies vomit sometimes... what concerns me is the rapid-fire repeating of it within a short amount of time, and the fact that BOTH puppies did it. (Then again, I guess I should be more concerned that I obviously haven't been keeping an eye on them as rigorously as I thought, if they were able to ingest whatever it is they coughed up!!)

Anyway, not looking for medical advice, just an informal poll of "would you take YOUR babies in to the vet under these circumstances."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I left a message but never heard back today. :( The puppies have still been acting fine so I guess I'll just watch and make sure they have no more incidences (and that they don't ingest anything else other than food and water!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,699 Posts
The dark cylindrical object had to have been something the puppy ingested - 2" long is awfully big. It's good the piece of pig ear the other puppy upchucked came out; pig ears (and rawhide chews) can cause a bowel obstruction, resulting in emergency surgery, which may not save the dog. I prefer raw bones for teething puppies, under supervision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup, I've concluded that in both puppies it was something ingested that Mommy is very stupid to have let them ingest... thankfully the vomiting hasn't happened since I initially posted and both pups are acting as healthy and active as puppies should, in every way. Thank you again for your replies!

P.S. If one of them had ingested something else like this 3 days ago or longer (before I started watching them like a hawk and threw away their imitation pig ear), is it possible that there is still a piece lodged in their little intestinal system? I'm still freaking out about the bowel obstruction possibility. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,846 Posts
Yup, I've concluded that in both puppies it was something ingested that Mommy is very stupid to have let them ingest... thankfully the vomiting hasn't happened since I initially posted and both pups are acting as healthy and active as puppies should, in every way. Thank you again for your replies!

P.S. If one of them had ingested something else like this 3 days ago or longer (before I started watching them like a hawk and threw away their imitation pig ear), is it possible that there is still a piece lodged in their little intestinal system? I'm still freaking out about the bowel obstruction possibility. :confused:
Yes, you should be concerned. I would get the pup in question to a vet just to be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I would call your vet again to ask if you should bring them in. I don't think mine would have me come in, but it's always good to check. By the way, if you have a vet who doesn't return your phone calls, you may want to find a new vet.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but my puppy is constantly ingesting things he shouldn't. Actually, he's much, much better now that he's older, but I also took away all toys that he could destroy (and therefore took away all of the pleasure from unstuffing stuffies) because even when I was watching him he'd manage to eat something he shouldn't. Even worse in my house was that the cats were constantly knocking little things off of the counters, and he'd eat those! I guess it's a good kick in the butt to keep everything picked up, at least. ;)

I don't mean to imply that the potential for an intestinal blockage is something that isn't very scary, but, honestly, even if you're really vigilant, one of the little guys may get something past you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did call again and spoke with a vet tech... since the pups will be in next week for their next shots, she suggested the vet examine them at that time, and in the meantime keep an eye out and make sure they're eating and eliminating normally. In my heart I think they're just fine and will be okay until next week's exam... but geez I am kicking myself that I ever let them get hold of that thing in the first place.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top