Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy and my cat have been sort of on and off the last couple of days. This morning, the puppy was very gentle with the cat. This evening, though, he tackled the cat. He also latched onto the cat's tail. The cat doesn't seem all that disturbed, but it did hurt him.

What can I do? I am starting teaching him the leave it command, but he is just way too excited for it to work when he attacks the cat.

Also, he is constantly trying to jump on the sofa, which we are trying to stop. I have been saying "Down" and pointing to the floor and looking at the spot, which he seems to get but not listen to... what can I do with that?

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
:) Teach him English first :)
It sounds like the cat is fairly laid back but watch, because when cats play, they might bite harder when puppies whine, rather than letting go.

I imagine that the pup jumps on the tail when the cat is swishing ? In a way, if the cat can get away and if the cat won't injure the pup, I'm tempted to let them work it out. If the cat complains, but the pup still doesn't back off, then you might pick the pup up and put him in time-out. Not sure of the details of the circumstances...

When a dog doesn't listen, you can't let him get away with it. You can put on his leash so that he loses his freedom, you can put him in the crate if you can't watch him, or you can take him for a 2 minute time-out.

Is he allowed on the furniture? If he is never allowed, then it is fairly straightforward to say Down, give him a moment and put him on the floor, or his crate, or time-out.

You can also try to teach him "Down" by putting him on a kitchen chair, or somewhere that isn't fun, then say down just before he jumps off and give him a treat. You can try that with the sofa, but I think he may be too smart, so he'll jump down for the treat, then hop back onto the sofa ... "been there, done that!" :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dog jumps on the whole cat when the cat is on the ground, but bit hard on his tail when the tail was swishing. I know it looks like a toy and is not his fault, I am just unsure how to get him to let go. My cat was in pain :(

Down is just not working right now. Although, I think when he is overly tired, he is a lot worse. He does better with the "Down" and me pointing at the ground when he is well-rested. Perhaps I just need to make sure he's getting plenty of nap breaks? He is, after all, only 9 months old.
I just really don't want the crate to become a punishment. He is already getting reluctant to go in. God only knows how I'll get him in when he's older.
Hmm...maybe I'll make "going into crate" the ONLY time he gets chicken?

I'm trying the body blocking thing for both furniture AND the cat, but it's not working and I'm not even sure if it's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Keep a leash on the dog when he is around the cat, do not let him chase or tackle the cat. Reward him whenever he ignores the cat (looks away, walks in the opposite direction). Your dog also needs to learn bite inhibition. They normally learn this from their litter mates, they bite too hard in play, the other puppy yelps and he realises 'oh I have to watch my teeth'. You can teach him this by playing rough and letting him mouth you, and say 'ow!' and ignore him for 10 seconds whenever he bites too hard. Playing with other puppies at puppy class is also good.

Once that is in place, he should be gentle with the cat. But up until then I would limit his interaction with the cat, and reward for leaving the cat alone. He needs to see the cat as a family member, not as a toy.

For the crate, I use a special treat that he only gets in his crate. I also cover the crate with a blanket or sheet so it becomes a dark den, and he can't see me walking around and the other dog running around and the cats etc. I also taught him to go in the crate on cue, and you should youtube 'crate games'. They help the dog to see the crate a nice place to be.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i keep a lead on branston indoors all the time and we had to put a gate across the hallway as he is absolutely pants with cats! no matter how many times we tried to stop him chasing and squashing to the floor he wouldnt, so now he cant get to them at all. i use 'off' for the furniture not down as down is lay down.

·
Registered
630 Posts
As soon as my puppy was old enough to start jumping, I taught him "up" and "off." I guided him at first and used treats. If I want him "off" I just tell him off and he jumps off. If he gets stubborn, I take his leash and guide him off, then praise. Just keep repeating every time he jumps up onto the furniture. Kodi even jumps up onto a bench next to the front door to get leashed to go outside and again to get his outside leash off and his inside leash put on. He just does it automatically now.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As soon as my puppy was old enough to start jumping, I taught him "up" and "off." I guided him at first and used treats. If I want him "off" I just tell him off and he jumps off. If he gets stubborn, I take his leash and guide him off, then praise. Just keep repeating every time he jumps up onto the furniture. Kodi even jumps up onto a bench next to the front door to get leashed to go outside and again to get his outside leash off and his inside leash put on. He just does it automatically now.
First off, OMG your dog is sooooo cute I want to rub my face in it!! :D

What did you have your dog jump "up" onto? A stool or box?

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
One suggestion for teaching to go into the crate, is to prevent the pup from going into the crate !
1. Get (chicken) or a Kong filled with goodies and frozen, then show it to the puppy.
2. Let the puppy sniff it and get to the point that he wants it.
3. Make a big dramatic show of putting the Kong into the crate... and close the door so he can't get in.
4. Let the pup scratch and whine a little, trying to get at the Kong.
5. Then, when he looks at you and says, 'please,please, please' You've got him! Let him in... and you can probably close the door behind him.
6. At some point before you let him in the crate, say the word "crate" or a similar cue.
7. At step #4, be alert not to let the pup get too frustrated and just give up. You want to catch him frustrated, interested, and at the highest motivation to get in. When he looks at you, that is the best time, because then you're his collaborator, savior, and buddy....

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I know exactly what Hanksimon is talking about when he says that your puppy might listen when you say down, get the treat, and then jump back up! He did do the "down", after all! :)
Our Abby does that, not Harper, just Abby. So, when we say "off" we usually pair it with another command, like "bed" or "sit" or even start a mini training session. That way, she gets off the couch, and then has to do a second command. It usually distracts her from jumping right back up to the couch....

·
Registered
630 Posts
First off, OMG your dog is sooooo cute I want to rub my face in it!! :D

What did you have your dog jump "up" onto? A stool or box?
Thanks. He IS cute, but more handsome now than in those pictures taken more than 4 months ago. Have to put a new one in my sig.

I had him jump on anything handy, sofa, bed, bench. It has to be stury and not shaky.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do not EVER allow the dog to chase or harass the cat. EVER. He is little now but dogs who get along with cats will kill cats.

Get between your dog and the cat when the dog goes for the cat and quickly move into the dog's space so the dog backs up and looks at you. Tell the dog, "My cat!" and do it firmly.. even a little loud. the dog should look a bit worried when you do this. You are conveying to the dog that the cat is YOUR property and NOT his.

Leave a leash on the dog. If the dog goes for the cat, step on the leash and stop him. When he redirects to you, reward him.

NEVER leave the dog and cat alone together unsupervised. ALWAYS have a dog proof escape for the cat to get to in addition to crating the dog when you are not there and both have to stay home.

The dragging leash can also be used to remove the dog from the furniture (and prevent him from getting up there in the first place). Reward for all for feet on the ground and the word for getting off anything is OFF. Down is for lie down unless you use another word for that.

When training your dog to obey a word use only ONE word for each thing you train and only say that word one time. An interesting study found most people train a dog to recall with one word but expect the dog to recall to about 8 different words (and then get mad when the dog does not come when called). They also will repeat a word over and over so that, as an example, the command for sit is sit.. but becomes Sit Sit and then Sit Sit Sit.. etc. until you have to say it 5 times to get a sit because that is exactly what you have trained the dog to do.
Yeah I have definitely been body blocking him from the cat, though he gets praised for being gentle with the cat (licking his head, sitting and watching without reacting, sniffing with no nipping). As soon as he nips, I block him and make him back up and have been saying "Leave it" Firmly and loudly. Again, I've noticed he is only having issues at night when he is getting too tired to listen.

The dog and cat are absolutely never left alone together, nor will they be until the dog is older and has shown 0 aggression or even interest in play aggression w/ the cat. That could be a few years! Right now, the cat gets half the home and the dog is gated to the other half with either my boyfriend or I present at all times.

We are also picking up one of those "dog pen" fences to set up inside for those times when he is getting too excited (tired) to handle.

I was fortunate enough to learn the one word and no repitition before getting the dog :D Thanks to watching "It's me or the dog" CONSTANTLY lol! Her techniques work wonders though :)

I've gotten the leash recomendation a number of times, so I guess I'll go ahead and try it. That

Also, it doesn't help that my cat shows 0 fear towards this dog. Seriously. While my roommate's cat will not come out of her bedroom while the dog is out, my cat refuses to let the dog chase him out of "his home." He's given the dog a few warning swipes too :\

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On second thought, maybe I SHOULD be blocking my dog from any sort of "I'm going to go closer" attention to the cat. Period. ??

My cat used to be best friends with my mom's golden retriever. I know it is possible, and my cat is INCREDIBLY patient (he has not hissed ONCE at the puppy yet), and pretty forgiving as well.

I just know that they need to have enough exposure so that the cat isn't always a "new thing," which overstimulates the pup, but also limited so the dog doesn't think he owns the cat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I figured I'd throw in my experience too :/

My pup just turned one. No idea what breed he is, but he is such a smart cookie! Anyways... When he was about 6 or 7 months, I thought about getting another dog cause he just loves to play with other furries. He even would lay next to the bunny I had (before my parents took over him) and just watch. It took a lot of work, but he enjoyed it once he learned his boundaries. I got a cat instead, figuring it'd be kind of a half way point between playmate and lap cat. I was WRONG. They were meant to be together. They are like brothers! They play really well (and I mean PLAY! The dog does an open-mouth thing where he never bites, just pushes Toby around and Toby plays really good too, though sometimes bites too hard on Jasper's lips and Jazz walks off for a second or too). Then they calm down and nap together. Its the sweetest thing! While I'm not home, though, the cat stays in his "room" until I get back home from classes. This is mostly just cause my roommate is unreliable in watching out not to let Toby door dash or in his room and lock him in litter-box-less.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't have to be a "this is my cat" and "this is my dog" kind of thing. They can play if thats what the two like. If not, the cat will put the dog in his place or you can get the dog to leave the cat alone. In that case...

I would allow the dog to see the cat, show interest, and start going to mess with him/her, but before he does call him out on it. Make him walk away. That way puppy knows its ok to look and to watch, but not to play with. I know you said you are working on "gentle" (I did the same) but if the cat doesn't want interaction, then its probably best if the dog doesn't mess with the cat all that much...

As far as furniture goes, definately use "off." Its more clear that way so when you say "get down" they don't lie down and get yelled at. :p I have a couch and loveseat and I let my dog get on them. He knows the loveseat is fine whenever and the couch is ok if you ask (since no one usually sits on the loveseat). Actually, when he wants on the couch and can't fit or won't stop pacing, I tell him "go lay down on the couch" and point and he does. :) He has a dog bed in the corner, but he goes and lays on that when I ask if he wants dinner so that he stays out of the way and waits patiently. Plus, if he whines and goes and lies down I know what he wants!

Lastly, the crate thing... My dog loves his crate. Actually, I will be sitting downstairs (I live in a townhouse) and he will get up, walk upstairs, and go lay in his crate to nap instead of on the couch or carpet or kitchen floor. I never used it as punishment, per se, but when he was misbehaving I'd take him up there and tell him to go in and lay down and when he did, I gave him a toy and a treat and left him for a while.

Hope all this helps! He is my first dog and my spoiled little ("little" used loosely) baby and I have issues shutting up about him sometimes! :) Good luck with your pup!

EDIT: forgot pics!

Watching Jurassic Park with us on the loveseat...

Sharing the mac-and-cheese spoon.

Playing nice around the food bowl.

Sleeping politely on the way home from college (3 hour drive, might I add).

Playing a little rough on the bed. Toby was tiny here! Jasper was very good bout being gentle, like you said you've been doing. It just takes time. If both animals are good together though, don't give up!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, tonight has definitely been easier. I took people's advice here and got a pen to block off an area in our living room so that he can't just run anywhere. Plus, I have him leashed, which makes it easier to correct (and prevent him) when he leaps at the cat. I've been doing the body blocking thing, but he began to try and bite me. I yell and stomp off, but he doesn't seem to care. However, as is normal for him, it is evening...and he is being like an over-tired toddler...absolutely nuts.

Here's our living room!
View attachment 24758

I also got a clicker and began "beefing it up" with turkey treats. He loved that. I got him to walk in and out of the pen calmly.

I've been praising him when he looks at the cat and then starts to do something else instead.

I'm feeling that morning, afternoon, and early evening will be good times for training and kitty socialization. I'm hoping he will be good with the cat down the road. Right now he is just too rough in his play.

At least I don't feel like crying tonight!!!:wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts