Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was thinking about my future puppy and how I can't wait for the litter to be born and then it dawned on me, they will essentially all look the same. Maybe a little more white or tan here and there, but that's it.

My breeder, let's you choose your puppy, while giving suggestions and opinions. She does daily/weekly photos of the puppies as they grown, and then around 4-5 weeks old, we will set up a date to come meet the puppies and choose.

With Aussies, there are so many colors and patterns. Even the sheltie litter we chose frim had many colors and patterns. Color isn't everything, but it still draws the eye and let's you tell everyone apart.

So, for those who have one color litters, did you find it harder or easier to chose?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Not my litter, but SDRRanger had a litter of 11 foster puppies born in her house last year that all looked basically identical. All that yellow lab colour.

You could definitely tell them apart by personality though. The breeder should be able to tell you who is more quiet, who is more outgoing, who is the troublemaker, etc.

I had 3 foster kittens earlier this year that looked very very similar, but they all had distinct personalities.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Welshies only come in one color. There are differences in patterns, but generally they look pretty similar among a litter. I haven't found it hard at all to pick one.

Watson was picked for me, but I did have a big say in choosing Hazel, and I personally helped evaluate all 9 puppies in her litter. Honestly, it wasn't a hard choice at all. If one of her sisters had had better conformation it would have been a harder choice, since they both had awesome temperaments, but the other one had clear faults (not just show ring faults, but things that would make me not want to pursue agility or other very active sports with her). So it was super easy really. As far as assigning them to other people some were a toss up - they were going to pet homes and had similar temperaments, but others were also pretty clear. Like the puppy who wasn't into rough housing with her brothers probably wouldn't do best in a home with rowdy kids, for example, so she went to a retired couple.

The biggest downside is that it can be really hard to go back and pick out which pup is yours from the early litter pictures. Even with a distinguishing marking, if the puppies aren't in the right orientation or whatever if can be tough.

And for cuteness, here is Hazel's litter at (I think) 11 days old. Glancing at this I'm honestly not sure which one is her. I can pick out a bunch I know are not her though.

ETA: 99% sure she's the one on the top of the pic.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I didn't get to choose Tula. She was chosen for me. Although, I prefer my Berner to not have a wide white stripe on their face, my husband has no opinion on the amount of white. I do love the Swiss kiss, but Tula doesn't have one.

For my Dobes, I like a lighter tan on black/tan dogs.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh baby Hazel. Somewhere. Lol.

I know the breeder puts all puppies with a different color collar. And is how they are generally referred to. So she will be like...Green was the first to go outside today, wasn't scared a bit, while Blue hung back and was the last to go.

So I guess with that it might help some? I was thinking maybe it would easier in a sense..... no, well I really love that red merle pup, even though he's all wrong for me. Lol.

Wonder- what's a Swiss kiss?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
While it was a multi-color litter (2 harles, 3 mantles, 2 mismarked mantles, 1 merle, 2 merle mantle), the puppies in Titan's litter were very easy to distinguish, even at almost 4 weeks old. I would have been able to tell most of them apart even if they had all been solid black.

As it is, color played no factor in my choice of Titan. I actually drove the 3.5 hours thinking that I wanted one of the mismarks, as a perfect show marked dog is wasted on me (probably) and the mismarked puppies were $600 cheaper (and still at the upper end of my desired price range). Upon doing my research, mantle was probably my second least favorite Dane color (next to fawn), so I definitely really didn't want a mantle puppy at the outset. But Titan's personality won me over - the brave and excited way he approached new people, the way he didn't seem to be bothered when a door slammed in the distance and startled the rest of the litter - those things combined to make me choose him and dig even deeper into my pockets than I was already.

Now I'm biased and mantle is probably my second favorite color :p

I think an all-one-color litter would be easier to choose from - you wouldn't run into the potential thought of "well, I like this one's personality, but I like this other one's color", like I did with Titan. Personality won out and I ended up with him, but had I leaned towards my aesthetics, I would have taken one of the mismarks or harles.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't get to choose Tula. She was chosen for me. Although, I prefer my Berner to not have a wide white stripe on their face, my husband has no opinion on the amount of white. I do love the Swiss kiss, but Tula doesn't have one.

For my Dobes, I like a lighter tan on black/tan dogs.
I also do not want a berner with a very large white blaze in the face, and less white on the chest would be nice too.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I know the breeder puts all puppies with a different color collar. And is how they are generally referred to. So she will be like...Green was the first to go outside today, wasn't scared a bit, while Blue hung back and was the last to go.
Watson's breeder did this with the boys in his litter. He was the Purple Puppy, and there were Green and Blue and Orange. In Hazel's litter she named them all based on markings. Hazel was Crescent because she had a crescent moon marking on her hip. Another was Tess because she had similar markings to her aunt Tessa. So yeah, the breeder will know them all very well by the collar colors and you'll get to know them too.

So I guess with that it might help some? I was thinking maybe it would easier in a sense..... no, well I really love that red merle pup, even though he's all wrong for me. Lol.
I really do think this is the case. I've seen so many people pick puppies from litters based on color, which seems so strange to me. I totally get having a color preference, but if the breeder said "the black tri you wanted is all wrong for you, I think you should take the blue merle" I would take the blue merle. In a breed where everybody is the same color, you really can't get overly attached based on superficial things and you have to look at the personality of each one. I think that's a better way to pick a puppy. Like Hiraeth said, you can't get bogged down in choosing temperament vs your favorite color, and you can really focus on their personalities.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Watson's breeder did this with the boys in his litter. He was the Purple Puppy, and there were Green and Blue and Orange. In Hazel's litter she named them all based on markings. Hazel was Crescent because she had a crescent moon marking on her hip. Another was Tess because she had similar markings to her aunt Tessa. So yeah, the breeder will know them all very well by the collar colors and you'll get to know them too.
Haha, Purple Puppy is pretty cute :) I like the colored collar idea.

My breeder named her litter after celebrities for reference purposes. Titan was "Brad Pitt". There was a George Clooney, a Beyonce (she was a brat and made all of the other puppies cry by biting them too hard), a Chris Hemsworth (if only I could buy me some Chris Hemsworth), a Sofia Vergara...

My dad referred to Titan as "Brad" for weeks. It drove me insane.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Haha, Purple Puppy is pretty cute :) I like the colored collar idea.

My breeder named her litter after celebrities for reference purposes. Titan was "Brad Pitt". There was a George Clooney, a Beyonce (she was a brat and made all of the other puppies cry by biting them too hard), a Chris Hemsworth (if only I could buy me some Chris Hemsworth), a Sofia Vergara...

My dad referred to Titan as "Brad" for weeks. It drove me insane.
Watson was purple because the Winner's ribbons at shows (what you need to win points) are purple. lol She had him down as the show pick quite early.

I'm in touch with Hazel's littermates and I struggle to remember which of the boys are which. Is the one we called Phoenix now named Henry? Or is he Chase?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Watson was purple because the Winner's ribbons at shows (what you need to win points) are purple. lol She had him down as the show pick quite early.

I'm in touch with Hazel's littermates and I struggle to remember which of the boys are which. Is the one we called Phoenix now named Henry? Or is he Chase?
Ah, I didn't know that about ribbons. I would have assumed the colors would be the same as horse ribbon colors, for some reason, which are blue-red-yellow-white-pink-green normally.

I hope I get to see photos of Titan's littermates as they mature. It would be great to see how the whole litter turns out :)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Ah, I didn't know that about ribbons. I would have assumed the colors would be the same as horse ribbon colors, for some reason, which are blue-red-yellow-white-pink-green normally.
Technically yes. If you win first in your class you get a blue, second is red, etc. But winning first in your class isn't enough to win any points. For that you go against the other first place dogs and the winner of that (known at Winner's Dog or Winner's Bitch) also gets a purple ribbon and that's the dog who wins points. So blue is nice, but purple is better :p

I hope I get to see photos of Titan's littermates as they mature. It would be great to see how the whole litter turns out :)
I set up a private FB group for everyone who got puppies and it's working really well. People post pictures or stories all the time.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Technically yes. If you win first in your class you get a blue, second is red, etc. But winning first in your class isn't enough to win any points. For that you go against the other first place dogs and the winner of that (known at Winner's Dog or Winner's Bitch) also gets a purple ribbon and that's the dog who wins points. So blue is nice, but purple is better :p
I did not know that, but that explains why agility ribbons (at least in NADAC) work that way!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I did not know that, but that explains why agility ribbons (at least in NADAC) work that way!
What are the purple ones for? I assume blue, red, yellow, etc are for placing in your class?

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
What are the purple ones for? I assume blue, red, yellow, etc are for placing in your class?
Yes. Purple are for Qs. Ie: Pointed runs.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Yes. Purple are for Qs. Ie: Pointed runs.
Ahh! Makes sense.

Not sure about AKC agility, but qualifying runs in Rally get green ribbons. There are also the standard colors for placements. Not sure if purple is used at all.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I really do think this is the case. I've seen so many people pick puppies from litters based on color, which seems so strange to me. I totally get having a color preference, but if the breeder said "the black tri you wanted is all wrong for you, I think you should take the blue merle" I would take the blue merle. In a breed where everybody is the same color, you really can't get overly attached based on superficial things and you have to look at the personality of each one. I think that's a better way to pick a puppy. Like Hiraeth said, you can't get bogged down in choosing temperament vs your favorite color, and you can really focus on their personalities.
Ya, color isn't important to me, but I do have preference. I guess I want the whole package. I want something that physically appeals to me as well as be right for me mentally.

So, ya take the fact that physically they are pretty much all the same, and you can better focus on the traits you want.

Other than, this guy has a better blaze or all white feet. But those things won't be over noticeable I'm comparison to merle v tri.

I do however, hope it's not a huge mostly male litter. I would rather have only a few to choose from as weird as that sounds.

·
Registered
221 Posts
At the end of the day you can pick a dog on colour but either way you're going to fall in love with the dog, not how good he looks on a daily basis. I chose my dog because he was the biggest as my ideal Vizsla is large and has a big masculine head. My boy turned out with a young, farily thin and quite goofy face and guess what, I still love him. I have to admit markings do worry me in dogs that develop them over time like GSPs but I know I'd always pick one I'd fall in love with through just being a dog anyway!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts