Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our eight-month-old cavalier has been spending every night in a crate since we got him at 9 weeks. (First a small one, now a large one.) His crate has a dog bed and a blanket.

He's been house trained for a long time, and hasn't peed or pooped in the house in months. He still doesn't hold it for very long, however; if we go to bed at 10, he whines at 5; at 11, he whines at 6. When we left the dogs (in the kitchen) for six hours the other evening, he was particularly desperate to get outside when we got home (although once outside, he was so busy jumping and barking that he didn't pee right away!)

Yesterday when I put the dogs to bed, I kept smelling dog pee in the room, but I couldn't find any. This morning I learned what it was. The puppy didn't wake anyone up this morning. When I woke up at 6:30 he was quiet, and when I got him out I realized the bedding was wet with pee. He not only peed in the crate this morning, but he must have done it the day before and/or the day before that for the smell to develop (although he did whine to get out yesterday morning.)

I'm not sure what to do now. Switch back to a smaller crate for a little while to discourage peeing? I'm washing the bedding now, but dogs can smell a lot better than we can. Should I replace the bedding? In another thread, someone suggested removing all bedding for a while, but I hate the idea of him spending the night on the plastic floor of the crate.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think your first step should be to take him to the vet and have him checked for a UTI. Sudden urinating in the crate after months of reliability is potentially an indicator that he has an infection.

You can wash the bedding with some enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle works) to remove the chemical scent of the urine. I'd personally do that, and switch to a smaller crate to discourage peeing.

If he urinates again (after you've found out he's healthy), I'd remove the bedding, but I too dislike the idea of a dog laying on a crate pan all night long.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You could just give him a towel to lay on for a few days---I'm sure that's easier to wash than his bed. See if this was one-time thing or if he might do it again.

And, yeah, just wash his bed a few times with an enzyme cleaner, Oxi-clean, etc. No reason to throw it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I wrote my original post on Monday morning. That day I washed his bedding, and that night I put him in his crate with only his blanket. He was quiet through the night and the blanket was dry in the morning. Tuesday night I added his dog bed. He was quiet until 5:30am Wednesday (today), when he whined to get out. I just discovered a small area of pee on his blanket (not his dog bed.) I'm wondering if he leaked when he was whining to get out.

I think the next step will have to be going to the vet. How do they check a dog for a UTI? He can't exactly pee in a cup.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its strange that he cant hold it all night at his age. If you look at my old posts, I had issues with my puppy peeing in his crate almost everyday, but hes 5 months old now and will hold it from 9pm to 8am. One thing that helped was removing all the bedding and towel from inside the crate, because they like to pee on soft surfaces and will do it more often if they see the pee is absorbed/whisked away. Dont feel bad about it, they dont notice, and it helps them hold it more. Also make sure you take water away at 6:30pm and take him out right before bed. Other than that I dont see any reason why he cant hold it past 7 (take away bedding, take water away early). And btw, they check UTIs by you bringging in a urine sample, which you do by holding a cup underneath him when he pees.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has he been to the vets since as it looks like either he has an infection or is trying to get attention. I adopted my pup when she was 6 weeks old, she's now almost 7 monthsd and she has never peed in her bed at night. I don't believe in crating and she is just one happy bunny all the time without any issues with her bladder or poop control. We sleep at around 11pm to 7pm and she can hold it without any problem. She is free to drink and eat as much as she wants before bedtime. I originally had an issue with her jumping on the bed but since I got her a huge bed of her own she hasn't jumped on the human mattress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts