Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This poor pup :(

He was itching all over his body, and itching some places bald.. Took him to the vet, and we treated for mites (just in case), that helped, and those spots are growing fur back and he's not itching them anymore.

Now he's itching the back/base of his right ear constantly. Never his left, just his right..

What's going on? Is it an allergy or something else?

He also loves licking everything in sight. Sometimes he'll just lay there and lick a giant wet spot into things.

HELP :(

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like an allergy. Allergies will make the skin itch especially the tongue and paws. The most common type is a food allergy and the usual culprit is wheat gluten or corn...common to alot of low grade dog foods.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an allergy. Allergies will make the skin itch especially the tongue and paws. The most common type is a food allergy and the usual culprit is wheat gluten or corn...common to alot of low grade dog foods.
He doesn't really mess with his paws.

I did notice something tonight.

I touched his right ear (the ear he's itching), and he kinda pulled back like he didn't want me to touch it. I then touched his left ear, and he had no problems with me doing whatever to that ear..

It's like something is wrong with his right ear or something?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Smell the ear. If there's an infection you'll smell it. Break out your Pet Med kit and either use the antibotic or the itch relief medication.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Do you see anything odd about the inside of his ear? Trent had a yeast infection in his right ear, and he was always scratching at the base of his ear, inside his ear, and shaking his head nonstop. Have you taken him to the vet yet? They could swab his ear and take a look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts