Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
With the pottying inside: even though she is nearly 1 year old, it could be that her bladder hasn't fully developed yet. Ida was a nightmare to potty-train, not because she didn't understand but because her bladder didn't fully develop until she was over a year old. She just couldn't hold it for quite long enough during the day unless she was crated (but we couldn't crate her because she would get very anxious and try to escape and injure herself).

Go back to potty-training 101, and make sure your whole family is on board. Keep her crated or tethered and take her out every 30-60 minutes (when you are home) - if she pees or poops, throw a happy party and praise her like she's the best dog in the world every time you see her do business outside. I always praise when I see my dogs potty outside; I just stop being so vigilant about watching for it once they start to show reliability with house training. If she does pee inside, don't say anything, don't crate her (unless you need to, like to go get cleaning supplies) just pretend it didn't happen and calmly clean it up.

The excitement about people and jumping on them/pulling towards them is totally normal - even at a year old. Although most dogs are more or less physically mature by 1-2 years old, IME, mental maturity takes a lot longer. Something else you could try is crating him with a bully stick or other chew for a a little while so people can come in the door, take off coats, get settled a bit, etc. It should help with the jumping on people when they come into the house. I would also have the person she wants to greet step towards her when she is calm with 4 feet on the floor, rather than letting her pull you to them.

Dogs learn best with consistency and clarity (well, so do people), and it must be tough to get all 11 people on board and being consistent with training her. To be honest, it sounds like you would benefit from having a positive reinforcement-based trainer come over to help you figure out the best way to get everyone on board and give you a refresher on how to teach her new things.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts