Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I adopted a Shelter pup as soon as I was able. She was what I thought was super young when they spayed her, so long as the dog is healthy it was ok? Dunno as my rule of thumb was always at the least 6-8 weeks old. Either way I've been working with her from day one to try and train her as I've been around untrained larger dogs and it's not fun. I have two youngish kids so I would rather she didn't jump on them and scare them away from liking dogs.

She's a lab retriever mix and I'm sure there is other mix in her but that was all the shelter knew. She's up to date on shots and is fell fed on a schedule and taken care of. She's gotten better about holding her bladder as she's gotten older and we're finally able to put a blanket in her kennel with her and trust she's not going to mess on it. I have her crate trained to the point I can say go home or go lay down and she'll go to her kennel. Granted it's not sit in there or lay down or stay without me shutting the door but progress in my book never the less...

She gets let out as often as I can. We live in a large house so I tend to keep her in our master bedroom with my husband and a baby gate if I am doing other things about the house. She's gotten a bad habit of chasing the cats that I think she picked up from chasing the rabbit and chickens outside. She's never outside without a leash as she refuses to leave the other animals alone. The main times she is in her crate is when my husband and I are both gone or I am going to be out of the room for extended period of time. She still messes in the house at a moments notice without trying to tell us anything. I would say she doesn't understand but as soon as it happens she puts herself in her crate and gives that puppy in trouble look at whoever looks at her. Then its the game of where did she hide her mess.. She potties outside just fine, far away, near by, doesn't matter to her. She gets excited and forgets and has to be reminded to potty at times but a verbal command seems to put her back on track of saying go potty.

My main issue at the moment is her still messing in the house as much as I want to allow her to be allowed out of the room I cannot trust her to do so. The other main issue is her chasing everything ... she could run about the backyard if there is a way to teach her the chickens are to be left alone and the cats are family too (so are the chickens but they are outside so it's a bit more controllable out there). She also just gets EXTREMELY hyper at seeing anyone from the house.. We have 11 people who live together of various age groups. She nearly tries to choke herself and pull whoever is walking her over just to claw and jump her way towards whoever. We've all been working with her to tell her to sit or teach her that sitting will get her more attention than her jumping on people but I'm worried that she's a year old and still presenting this behavior.

I admit it's been a few years when I last trained and owned a dog and those were pure labs. Maybe I'm missing something very vital here but she doesn't respond to commands at all other than the go home or potty. (sorry this was long but I was trying to provide as many details as possible)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
With the pottying inside: even though she is nearly 1 year old, it could be that her bladder hasn't fully developed yet. Ida was a nightmare to potty-train, not because she didn't understand but because her bladder didn't fully develop until she was over a year old. She just couldn't hold it for quite long enough during the day unless she was crated (but we couldn't crate her because she would get very anxious and try to escape and injure herself).

Go back to potty-training 101, and make sure your whole family is on board. Keep her crated or tethered and take her out every 30-60 minutes (when you are home) - if she pees or poops, throw a happy party and praise her like she's the best dog in the world every time you see her do business outside. I always praise when I see my dogs potty outside; I just stop being so vigilant about watching for it once they start to show reliability with house training. If she does pee inside, don't say anything, don't crate her (unless you need to, like to go get cleaning supplies) just pretend it didn't happen and calmly clean it up.

The excitement about people and jumping on them/pulling towards them is totally normal - even at a year old. Although most dogs are more or less physically mature by 1-2 years old, IME, mental maturity takes a lot longer. Something else you could try is crating him with a bully stick or other chew for a a little while so people can come in the door, take off coats, get settled a bit, etc. It should help with the jumping on people when they come into the house. I would also have the person she wants to greet step towards her when she is calm with 4 feet on the floor, rather than letting her pull you to them.

Dogs learn best with consistency and clarity (well, so do people), and it must be tough to get all 11 people on board and being consistent with training her. To be honest, it sounds like you would benefit from having a positive reinforcement-based trainer come over to help you figure out the best way to get everyone on board and give you a refresher on how to teach her new things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily minus the younger kids the adults know what to do with dogs. So walking towards her till she settles is already what we've been doing. I figured most of her current struggles are just her being a pup but I guess I was use to much more relaxed pups haha. Now if I can find a way to teach her smaller animals are not chase toys I'll be gold..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts