Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. Our 6 month old Cockapoo puppy was just neutered today. What do we need to watch for? We know to give his antibiotics, not let him lick/scratch/pick at the stitches or site (he has a cone), and prevent running, jumping, going up the stairs, etc.

What sorts of problems can occur?
Could he have side effects from the antibiotics?
When should I call the vet?

Anything else you could add would be great. Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
first off...BREATH! I know the first time around is pretty scary and this is all new! Trust me in saying me personally over the 30+ years of having pets this is a walk in the park to me! What you have said on what to watch out for and look for is exactly right! Just try to keep him calm for a few days! Hard to do with a hyper puppy I know. The worst thing would be him ripping his stiches out! 99% they are fine after a few days!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
What sorts of problems can occur?
Could he have side effects from the antibiotics?
When should I call the vet?
These sound like great questions to have asked your vet when picked your pup up! Did you? What did they say?

I always wonder why people don't seem to avail themselves of the expertise of person who went to vet school, has actually laid hands on their animals and that they trusted to perform surgery on their pet, only to ask questions of strangers on an internet forum.

Neuters are pretty minor surgery. Keep an eye out for infection and that the incision site is clean, dry and looks good. Otherwise, not too much else to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts