Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with their dog.
:confused:
I have a Shiba inu who is little over a year old. She is my baby and would never harm her in anyway. Within the past few months she has been having difficulty walking. She has been having problems with her hind legs where everyday is a struggle. She has her good days and her bad even though the good days always seem bad too. She'd be prancing and playing some of the days but she has problems sitting and getting up (very shakey and hesitant to get up). She is also extremely tired most of the days, always curled up somewhere sleeping.

Her personality isn't like most Shibas. She LOVES people and would never hurt a fly. (Hence any type of abuse is out of the question so that isn't the problem). She also gets extremely energetic when other pups are around (like her struggling to sit, walk, etc isn't an issue) but will tire out after a while of play (maybe expected?) She has escaped a couple times so possibility of getting hit by a car, fallen down somewhere etc isnt so out of the question but she isn't whineing about a specific pain.

I have taken her to the vet 2 months ago, got her tested for various things like Lyme but all negative. I honestly don't know what to do. Like I said, she seems ok one minute but the next she can't sit down. Next up the vet suggested an x-ray which I would love to find an answer before it comes to that.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience in this?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
She's not overweight is she? Are you positive she's only a year old, it sounds somewhat like Arthritis to me...

My step-mother's dog is overweight and has the same symptoms your dog is showing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if she is having any odd hair loss or darkening of her skin along with the problems with her legs? I had similar problems with our dog Sadie. The problems seemed to be fatigue and weakness in her hind legs. Also hair loss , which at first I chalked up to shedding , but it went beyond that. Long story short , my vet did some blood work and her thyroid is not producing proper enzymes. She is on medication, it is fairly inexpensive. About $18 a month. Most of the time you wouldn't know anything was wrong. It is worth a mention at the vets, I would get your girl in and discuss her symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
She isn't overweight at all though. I wish that were the reason because I could fix that but she started getting a little hefty around July and I cut her treat consumption down a bit. She is rather a solid dog. I mean her breed isn't suppose to be as heavy as she is but she has always been solid and built like a boy but you can still feel her backbone

Hmm that could be a possibility. She sheds alot but I always reference that to she has a double coat (kinda like a husky) and she also seems depressed. She spends alot of time laying around doing nothing. She has a huge basket of toys and barely plays with them anymore. She gets happy with other dogs around but the rest of the time she seems mopey. (which I actually thought about getting another pup to make her happy). I will look into that fruitbat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have a Shiba Inu male about 1.5 years old who is displaying similar symptoms. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I was wondering what the vet's diagnosis for your dog was. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
This dog needs to go to the vet today. She's in pain, she won't play- what are you waiting for?

Also, another dog will not cure medical problems. Please get the xrays done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When your pet is in pain and bviously something is wrong (lethargy, pain etc) You go to the vet not an online message board. Get the xrays, redo the the blood work. Just beacuse 2 months ago something didn't show up in it doesn't mean it won't now.

I don't understand why people come to message boards to ask medical advice about their pets (or in the case of one board I frequent medical advice about their kids) instead of going to the vet/dr and seeking professional advice.

If you can not afford the vet or testing costs, than rehome the pet to someone who can. If you are just delaying it because you don't "want" to spend the $ or time rehome the dog to someone who will.

It is cruel and abusive to allow an animal to be in pain and obviously ill without doing all you can to a)find a cause and b) find a solution to help. We all love dogs that is why we are here but we can NOT medically diagnose your dog so you will not find the answers you seek here. Take your dog to the vet. Get blood work for lyme's again and for thyroid and what ever else the vet wants. Get the xrays. And then pray that you have not caused your pet's health to deteriorate too far in your reluctance to actually seek medical attention for her.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I doubt the OP sees this. She started this thread 3 years ago.
I hate when I get sucked into an old thread. it was at the top of the new threads so I didn't even think to check dates. Stupid resurrected threads.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I hate when I get sucked into an old thread. it was at the top of the new threads so I didn't even think to check dates. Stupid resurrected threads.
Stupid old threads!

Now I'm worried about some dog that either had a pulled muscle or has since been put to sleep. And I'll never know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts