Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of house training things on here and I have looked through some of them and believe me I have read and watched so much content on different methods my brain is going to explode.

I've got about a year old pound pup who hates her crate and will not go to the bathroom outside. I work from home so am able tether her to me and watch her like a hawk 24/7, she has no accidents inside and good house manners overall and is fed at the same times. I take her outside at least once an hour literally all day long to the same spot and she will not go - tried bringing soiled towels, poo from the crate, stopping her in the act and taking her right out, long walks, quick walks and nothing phases her - not other dogs marking, nothing...

When shes in the crate shes whining and barking and clawing desperately to get out so I never know if she needs to go or if she just wants out and I don't want to condition her to throw a fit to get me to get her out...so since I am trying to reestablish the crate as a good place I keep it open and feed her in it and all of that, but she still wants nothing to do with it.

But it's also the only place she will actually go to the bathroom. I can have her out all day next to me and she doesn't make a peep or any indication she needs to go but not two minutes after being outside I will coax in the crate and she will make a mess.

This is end of day six for us and her first day home she just had surgery to be fixed. I want to start out on the right foot and so far we have not been doing so well.

My questions are should I be keeping her in the crate longer/more often even though she still has a negative connection with it and I do have the ability to watch her all day and she has no behavior problems so far with being out? Have you had any problems with your dog's potty schedule after being fixed? How on earth do I get her to potty outside so I can praise her and attempt to start a good routine? I think we spend more time outside than inside at this point, is it too many outings?

Please help Frankie and I figure this out! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Do you know anything about your pup's background before you adopted her? If she was in a puppy mill sort of situation, or spent lots of time in the pound, pottying in a crate may be all she knows. Is she ONLY going in the crate or is she going other places indoors too? If it's only the crate, I just wouldn't use the crate, for now at least. How big of a dog is she? Would you be able to set up an expen for confinement? Or do you have a room with easily cleaned floors you can dog-proof and gate off?

Also, she's been through a lot lately! If I'm understanding correctly, it's shelter -> you -> vet -> you. That's a lot of transitions in a short time. It will take her time to settle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! All I know about her is that she had been in the shelter just under a month and was found running around, she is a good 30lbs I'd say . Inside she only goes in the crate - I'm not using the crate really right now since she doesn't have accidents in the house and I have the ability to watch her 24/7 since I work from home. But this means she just holds it all day, though she makes no fuss to need or want to go out and really only goes both once a day which is odd for a pup. Especially since she is outside a lot trying to get her to go.

I have been able to get her to potty on the deck outside a few times after a hard play there and am trying to have the same thing happen in the yard with her tied to a rope, but nothing yet despite hours of being outside. But then if I bring her in after being outside and put her in the crate or leave her on the deck for a moment on her own she will usually go, so I think some of the issues are that she doesn't want to go in front of someone - but I still can't get her to go out when she is on the rope and able to roam some and I'm not right next to her.

They fixed her at the shelter the day I picked her up, man she was so doped up she couldn't walk straight :c poor pup, that was def a rough day for her...heres some pictures of Frankie girl:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts