Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try so hard, but my pup has eaten so many grape leaves and grape stems on our deck through the five months we’ve had him. For the last five days he has vomited four times (basically once a day). Other than that he seems totally normal, one of the times he vomited there were grape leaves in it. I’m calling the vet in the morning. I’m so worried about him being poisoned by the grape leaves and stems, that I can’t stand it. I googled and am getting mixed reviews on if stems and leaves are toxic or not……
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,906 Posts
A vet or pet poison control hotline should know the most accurate information on toxicity, and whether your pup needs bloodwork or treatment. Animal poison hotlines are typically paid services but operate 24/7 so can be great resources in an emergency - the ASPCA runs one in the US: Animal Poison Control. My understanding is that the grapes themselves are the biggest issue (though I am not a veterinary professional and am unsure on the toxicity of the plant itself), and can be extremely toxic in small quantities in some dogs (though we don't yet know what causes the toxicity), so if these grape vines are productive you'll need to consider restricting access to the area while they're in fruit or using something like a basket muzzle with a poop/stool guard to minimize the risk of him eating the grapes themselves.

Some dogs eat grapes their whole lives and are totally fine, but others eat a single raisin and go into kidney failure, so it's smart to talk to a vet and not mess around with grape toxicity.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top