Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, what should be the punishment for hitting a puppy? Also will puppy forgive/forget if he was hit ?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It would depend on the age and the learning ability of the individual doing the hitting.
A small child would be treated differently than an adult and a person with a learning disability would be treated differently as well. The first order of business is to separate the abuser from the puppy.

As to remembering the incident, it depends on the age and genetic disposition of the puppy and the frequency of the abuse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what if the hitter was the owner who was trying to train him but he bit him causing the reaction

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Then the owner REALLY needs to reassess their training techniques, and avoid situations that make the puppy feel the need to bite. If the owner is using compulsion based training, they need to stop, and start working with a good, positive based trainer, and learn how to set up both the puppy and themselves for success.

As for how long it will take for the puppy to "forgive and forget", well, that depends on a number of things, including, but not limited to, the puppy's innate temperament and confidence, their developmental stage, and how much of a bond they already have with the owner.

The owner also needs to realize that puppies, especially baby puppies, explore the world with their mouth (so do human babies, for that matter....), and when you add in possible teething pain, then you might just have a landshark on your hands for a while.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Depends on the dog. When my brother first met my last pup, he kind of loomed over him and roared. Scared the poor pup, who hated my brother for literally two years -- would bark furiously with hackles up every time my brother visited. It's worse if stuff like this happens during a fear period.

The owner should make sure they never hit the puppy again, and should work on positively training bite inhibition. This chapter and this chapter should help you.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I am wondering, what should be the punishment for hitting a puppy?
I don't think anyone here can say for certain. With such few details given, we're not really equipped to be judge, jury, and executioner. Even from the armchair. But I would think that the law provides for punishment in the appropriate measure, whenever it is actually deemed by the authorities as abuse.

Whether striking a puppy constitutes abuse or not would likely depend on factors such as physical injury, excessive force, lasting psychological trauma, etc. If you feel any of these have occurred, it's probably best to report it to the authorities.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
1. What is the age, size, and breed of the puppy?
2. What is the age and size of the person hitting?
3. How bad was the bite - a nip or did it draw blood?
4. How bad was the hitting?

For example, if a border collie nips someone and gets hit, the collie may never nip, and may never forget.

On the other hand, if a Lab nips, he may draw blood while playing. If someone hits the Lab, he may think it was rough play, and not remember the incident from one moment to another ... I had a Lab like this 20 years ago. Very smart and very forgiving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts