Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of you guys ever smack your dog when they do something wrong? Now i'm not talking about beating your dog in any way, but just a tiny smack. Have you ever done it? Did it work for you?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Do any of you guys ever smack your dog when they do something wrong? Like bite or have accidents in the house? I did once with Stella and she never did the same thing again. She realized she did something wrong and even started giving me kisses shortly after. .Now i'm not talking about beating your dog in any way, but just a tiny smack. Have you ever done it? Did it work for you?
Why would you smack your dog? Are you trying to make your dog fear you? There are better ways of teaching your dog what you want from it, it's called TRAINING. (You can guess my answer)

·
Registered
332 Posts
No. If you are so angry that you feel the need to smack your dog then you need to roll up a newspaper and smack yourself in the head.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not out of anger, I just want a way that she can understand she's done something wrong. I don't want to crate her.because she sleeps in there and I don't want her to feel like she's in trouble when she goes to bed.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Do any of you guys ever smack your dog when they do something wrong? Now i'm not talking about beating your dog in any way, but just a tiny smack. Have you ever done it? Did it work for you?
Yes. Many years ago. I'm not sure what it is supposed to tell the dog though. What do you think it communicates to the dog?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Not out of anger, I just want a way that she can understand she's done something wrong. I don't want to crate her.because she sleeps in there and I don't want her to feel like she's in trouble when she goes to bed.
So, why not show her what you'd like her to do instead?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Many years ago. I'm not sure what it is supposed to tell the dog though. What do you think it communicates to the dog?
Im not sure, she sat in the corner, took a nap, woke up then started playing with me. She never bit again though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, why not show her what you'd like her to do instead?
Well she wouldn't stop biting, and I always gave her her toys to chew on, but she insisted on people and clothes. Until after that when she stuck with her toys. She sometimes tries but if I say "no bite" she stops.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Why would you smack your dog? Are you trying to make your dog fear you? There are better ways of teaching your dog what you want from it, it's called TRAINING. (You can guess my answer)
This! Dogs do NOT understand punishment, striking your dog will ONLY cause her to fear and mistrust you! Teach your dog what you WANT her to do, and make that MORE reinforcing than what you don't want her to do. If she's doing what you want, she can't do what you don't want. It's very simple.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
When I was a kid, yes. I was brought up by my family thinking that "spanking" was the way to go. But when I got my own dog for the first time, I ended up realizing that it's not that effective. All it did was make my dog afraid. It didn't teach her what I wanted her to do. I haven't spanked in a long, long time. And my dogs are better behaved and happier for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I guess i'm the bad guy here, Ive "smacked" my dog and they in no way fear me. Puppies who chew on the corner of the wall or when he would try to eat my clothes as im trying to dress or run after an Iguana into the canal. Its more to get their attention and not to hurt them. And this isnt soliciting for advice, this is giving an honest answer to riapolo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess i'm the bad guy here, Ive "smacked" my dog and they in no way fear me. Puppies who chew on the corner of the wall or when he would try to eat my clothes as im trying to dress or run after an Iguana into the canal. Its more to get their attention and not to hurt them. And this isnt soliciting for advice, this is giving an honest answer to riapolo.
Thank you. I didn't do it to hurt her, just to make her aware that what she did was wrong.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Um, no. I'd never in a million years smack or in any other way threaten my dog's physical or mental well being. When you're learning something new at work, would you like to be slapped if you don't understand right away?

How about teaching a "leave it" cue instead of getting physical with the dog?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well she wouldn't stop biting, and I always gave her her toys to chew on, but she insisted on people and clothes. Until after that when she stuck with her toys. She sometimes tries but if I say "no bite" she stops.
There is a fantastic thread on Bite Inhibition. It's a sticky actually... you could try that instead of hitting your dog.

Edit: http://www.dogforums.com/first-time-dog-owner/8377-bite-stops-here.html
The First Time Dog Owner section, along with the Training section, should be your friend.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thank you. I didn't do it to hurt her, just to make her aware that what she did was wrong.
Except that it doesn't. In order for punishment to work, it needs to be applied within 3 seconds of the action, and even then, it's hard to say if the dog is understanding what you think is wrong.

Dogs don't think like humans do. Humans think in terms of cause and effect. I bite the clothes, I get smacked, therefore, biting clothes is bad. Dogs associate. So after enough times, if you apply the punishment properly, the dog might associate biting clothes with bad, then again, that sort of activity is playful, so maybe they associate playing with you as being bad. Or clothes are bad. Or biting is bad and now your dog won't bite anything, which is what happened to my dog. He wouldn't bite anything when I got him, not even his toys. Dogs need to chew, it's necessary for their mental and physical health. I had to teach a dog to chew. Then I had to put up with him chewing anything and everything for weeks so as not to scare him off chewing, then I had to teach what to chew.

If his former owner had simply taught him what to chew in the first place, we could have avoided the whole mess.

Look, there are about 5,000,000,000 things you don't want your dog doing, and 50 you do want them doing. It's must easier, and kinder, to teach them what you do want them to do as opposed to punishing what you don't want them to do. Maybe I'm lazy, but I'll stick with treating the behaviors I want to see and ignoring or redirecting the rest.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of the photo is. Even humans who suffer physical abuse will re-orient and be affectionate with their abuser.

Have I ever smacked a dog? Sure. But I consider it a total and complete failure on my part to control myself and come up with a better and more effective way to manage a situation.

I don't walk around smacking people who piss me off, not even under pressure. So I consider it a very, very poor reflection on my humanity that I would swing at one of my beloved dogs, just because I can. Just because I reacted under pressure.

The fact that dogs forgive us does not affirm our choice.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of the photo is. Even humans who suffer physical abuse will re-orient and be affectionate with their abuser.

Have I ever smacked a dog? Sure. But I consider it a total and complete failure on my part to control myself and come up with a better and more effective way to manage a situation.

I don't walk around smacking people who piss me off, not even under pressure. So I consider it a very, very poor reflection on my humanity that I would swing at one of my beloved dogs, just because I can. Just because I reacted under pressure.

The fact that dogs forgive us does not affirm our choice.
Very well said.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts