Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experience this?

So on Monday my 11 year old jack russel puked numerous times (bile), had no appetite and did not drink any water, and had diarrhea. On Tuesday he began drinking, had no appetite and puked up the water he drank and then bile, and had diarrhea. We took him to the vet yesterday and they kept him overnight for observation - they gave him an IV to rehydrate, some antibiotics but he continued to have bloody diarrhea. This morning they told us that his protein in his blood was low which could result in organ failure and he may need a blood transfusion. We got a call at noon today that they were going to double the fluids to see if he will retain anything but the bloody diarrhea has continued. We are waiting for an update in the next couple hours if the extra fluid worked or if a blood transfusion will be needed...

We assume this is because of a piece of peanut butter square (peanut butter, honey and peanut butter/chocolate cheerios) he got from my toddler... the vet said even the smallest amount of something can mess with their gut bacteria and cause this type of reaction.

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience - I’m worried that he isn’t progressing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I had an older dog with digestive problems that once got bad enough to land her in the ER with diarrhea with so much blood in it it looked like straight blood (no vomiting), but she responded to the kind of treatment your dog is getting pretty quickly. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope he improves quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
She didn't have a transfusion. It's been some years, but as I remember fluids, injectable metronidazole, and some other drugs. I took her to the hospital at night (that's why the ER hospital). I think she was improving within 24 hours and was in the hospital two days. She was very lethargic when I took her in. I don't remember vomiting, but after I saw the bloody diarrhea I didn't offer food. Her blood tests didn't show any frightening results, so she wasn't as sick as your guy. What stands out in my mind is watching a puddle of what looked like pure blood spread out behind her where she was lying in the exam room that night. Needless to say that scared me witless.

She was an 85-pound Rottweiler. Don't know if size makes a difference in these cases, and I don't believe anything unusual she ate set it off. She had several episodes of digestive problems as she aged, some of which did include vomiting. That was the worst, and after that at my vet's suggestion I put her on a very low fat diet and she never had another episode for the last couple of years of her life.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top