Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a pug, Rufus, here in India and for some reason he's much larger than most other pugs I've seen. He's definitely all pug and isn't a cross breed, but he just is much bigger boned than others I've seen!

He's also getting really fat...he's now over 12.5 kgs (27 pounds) and I know he really should be down around 10 kgs (22 pounds).

He is on a strict "Light" kibble, but even that doesn't seem to be working very well. He's pretty active and constantly on the go running about.

he eats absolutely anything, so I was hoping for any pug weight loss recipe ideas if possible?

Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Exercise, exercise, and more exercise. :) Just make sure you aren't walking your little guy in the heat of the day, as they don't handle heat well at all. Early in the morning and later in the evening are your best bets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for this! I've never really known pugs before we got this one, and I'm not really sure if he is "normal" size! He's 14 inches tall (to his head) and 27 lbs. Is 100% pugalicious, and definitely not mixed with anything else, but just not sure if he's actually "fat" or just possibly big boned!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I actually am not a fan of most "light" foods because most of them reduce protein (Surprise! - it saves more money to reduce protein calories in a food than carbohydrate or fat calories in a food) and the last thing you want to do is set up your dog to lose muscle mass instead of fat. It's also possible to not lose or even gain weight on a diet high in processed carbohydrates (for people and dogs). So personally I think you'd be better off feeding less of a regular adult maintenance food than using a light food. JMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts