Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a female pug ( she is turning 3 in couple of months)
She has always been very active and fun. She ran around otside and enjoyed playing. Sadly all good things come with a bad thing. And she has epilepsy.
Doctor prescribed her some epilepsy drug.
And that well not to be rude but totally changed my dog. She doesent play anymore, she doesent enjoy going outside , she is slow,
I cutted the dosage in half and still. She is at home moving only to go outside couple of times and eat.
I am really dissapointed and i have no ieda what to do :(
Can someone tell me if theres something to bring her old self back without stopping the treatment?
Or it will be over when she gets used to the medicine?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I was going to recommend a second opinion as well. Since you got one, contact whichever vet you trust most and explain the situation. Maybe your girl is suffering side effects. Or maybe it is something that will level out once she's used to it. But your vet is the one who can give you the info.

Sending good thoughts your way . . .

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
what "kind" of epilepsy did they say she has?.....how often (before the meds) was she having the seizures?

I have heard that some meds make the dog "sleepy" the first few weeks of use...how long has your girl been taking it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what "kind" of epilepsy did they say she has?.....how often (before the meds) was she having the seizures?

I have heard that some meds make the dog "sleepy" the first few weeks of use...how long has your girl been taking it?

She has had seizures once a month or so and it was like i dont remember how vet called it but during the seizure her mind does not kick off its like she can see and hear everything but there are twitching in the muscles. She cant walk during it and sometimes like just lies on the floor untill its over
She took it for bout month or so

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would call your vet and discuss your conerns...maybe they can give a different drug?......you could also try a holistic vet.

I really don't have a lot of experience with this.....my foster pug had seizures but he only had them like once every 6mo or so.....

best of luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts