Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago we found a little pug puppy wandering around outside our apartment. I put an ad up to see if anyone had lost her and called the local shelters but after no responses we decided to keep her. I got her the first batch of puppy shots last month and the vet estimated she was 8-10 weeks old at the time. We named her Reese and she has become a part of our family but now I'm afraid she is a very sick puppy. She's very playful and loves to eat, both her regular food and sometimes I give her soft food from the package as a treat. Three days ago she got very aggressive out of the blue, running around and biting at people and the furniture like crazy. She did this for about five minutes and then ran to her water bowl and drank for another five minutes. It was weird but we didn't think too much of it because she seemed normal after she drank. Then yesterday she did the same thing, around the same time of the evening. Before the aggressive part started she was on the couch with my husband and he said "Babe she keeps pushing her head against my head." We thought it was cute at the time... She ran around and bit at everyone and spun in circles, then she flopped down on the couch like she was out of gas. I looked at her face and she was staring at me blankly. We tried to get her to eat and she wouldn't, that's when I knew something is very wrong. My husband was holding her and her little head was just shaking back and forth with that blank stare. Later she ate but was so wobbly she was falling over the food bowl.

I googled all of her symptoms and the first thing that popped up was pug dog encephalitis. Sadly she has almost every symptom, the only one she didn't display was an actual seizure but I read a seizure doesn't have to be obvious. The aggressiveness and spinning in circles, and pushing her head against things are what worries me the most. I made an appointment with my vet in the morning but the tech told me that he has no way to test for the encephalitis and we might be referred to a diagnostic clinic. I called the diagnostic clinic and asked how much they thought it might be and he said it all depended but a cat scan would run between 700 and 1100 dollars and a spinal tap is around 500. I hate that money is an issue but it is, I only make 600 a week. Before I knew about the diagnostic I pushed back all my bills so I would have the full paycheck to get her taken care of but now I'm realizing even that won't be enough. Even if I were to magically get more money if she does have the encephalitis I know that it's fatal. Today she seems better but not completely, I can feel it's just a matter of time before it happens again. She's eating and drinking fine but she's not acting the same as she used to.

Sorry I know this is long and rambling, I just don't know what to do. I will take her to the vet in the morning no matter what, but if he tells me I have to do the diagnostic clinic I know I won't be able to, at least not right away. My main concern is that she does not suffer. I'm posting this here I guess because I need some hope, if there is any. Is there a chance she could be suffering from something other than the PDE? She's only a few months old at the most and everywhere I've read says it affects dogs from 6 months to 5 years. I just can't get over the fact that she has almost every sign, it's so scary. I'm open to any advice or similar experiences, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
I have no advice to give, but I am so sorry. PDE is scary, scary stuff. I wouldn't give up hope just yet, it's possible that it could be something else, you never know. You are correct though, if it IS PDE, there is no cure, and from what I've read, and Pug owners I've known who have had to deal with it, it progresses very quickly. I wish I had more to offer, but please let us know what the vet says. ((hugs))

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
apply for Care Credit. And good luck with Reese. It could also be that she has epilepsy, which may be controlable with seizure meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, I actually hope it would be epilepsy over the alternative. My mom has a rescue with epilepsy and controls it with an organic diet and meds. I will update what the vet says in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from the vet and I am a little relieved. The vet thinks it might be a blood sugar problem? Her blood sugar was fine at the office but because it happens around the same time at night she's hoping that's the case. She said to give her karo when she starts acting aggressive and see if that helps. She tested negative for parasites, I asked about encephalitis and she (vet) didn't give it any thought, just said she didn't think that was the problem. I hope with all my heart she's right! She said I need to keep an eye on her and if she has another seizure bring her back in. Thanks for reading my problem and helping with my puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts