Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 10 month old brittany has a puffy red eye (right eye only). There is mild to light discharge but it seems clear rather than goopy. The eye itself seems unaffected (the whites are not red). It is the eye lid -- the skin surrounding the eye that is red and puffy. She paws at it a little but not much. Her lymph node on that side is a little swollen. She does not have a fever.

It started back on Feb 22 and we took her to the vet. The vet thought it might pink eye and gave us eye drops. We used those for 1 week but it didnt get better. So we took her back in. Then he thought well maybe its an infection of sorts (he mentioned canine lupus as an extreme possibility and a few other things). We started the antibiotic but it got worse within a day or two. So we went back in and then the vet thought well maybe lets try benedryl because it could be an allergy. We also eliminated rawhide. (We had introduced raw hides about 6 weeks prior and had changed her from Chicken to a lamb dogfood about 3 weeks prior.). The puffy red eye had no reaction to the benedryl. The next step to take with allergies is to try steroid, but the vet thought maybe we should check for mange (which turned up negative) or ringworm first (we're waiting on ring worm results) because steroid would have the opposite effect. In the mean time he gave us anti-fungal wipes.

He admits he is stymied. The involvement of one eye seems to work against the idea that it is an allergy or something systemic (although doesnt completely rule it out). I have a hunch its not ringworm. This is nearly 4 weeks old and she has no other lesions and neither do my young children who are all over our puppy!

Has anyone had this before? Do you have any good insights?

thanks!! Calang

So..

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 5 yr lab/chow came in one night with a wollen eye. It was dark out and I let him outisde to go to the bathroom. This was before I had a fence up. I didn't see him run off, but he has a tendancy to chase small (wild) animals. We don't know if something scratched him or if he might have run through some brush that could have scratched his eye. The emergency vet prescribed vetropolycin (?) eye ointment. This was not drops but had the consistency of neosporin. It cleared his eye in several days.

He still gets allergies and if he scratched his face enough from time to time his eyes can swell. Benedryl has worked well for him 1mg per lb. I hope this helps and I hope he gets better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts