Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our city's dog park requires us to purchase a yearly membership to use the dog park. I haven't purchased the membership yet since it's the end of the year (membership is from Jan~Dec) and plan on waiting until Jan. The dogs are given a membership tag. I have recently gone to the dog park with my two dogs a few times and I'm curious to what people think of me since my dogs don't have the park tag. My greyhound never approaches people, so she's not really an issue, but my JRT loves jumping on and greeting people. I have noticed that there are a few people that would check his tags while petting him. His collar is covered by his coat, so some would actually dig in to see. They do have their rabies tag, but I'm guessing the membership tag would also guarantee that they're up to date on all the other shots.
No one has ever said anything to me, but the other day, a lady kept asking me where I got my dog in a somewhat degrading way. I know taking them to the park is a frowned upon behavior on my part for the time being, but I'm curious as to what people would think of my dogs without a park tag.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Its kinda like crashing a hotel pool. If you don't make any trouble and you are a considerate person (dog) then most people won't care. But you are still breaking the rules. Find out (read the bylaws or city code) if breaking the rules is a "rule" thing or a city "code violation" since a city code violation could carry a financial penalty. And if you are asked to leave for breaking the rules now, you might not be able to get membership come January.

My city's dog parks are privately run on public property and have a low yearly membership fee and a total membership limit. Out of town travellers and guests can ask for a free visit but get an email to print that shows they asked permission.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Our city run dog parks require a permit, too, but I would never think of checking someone else's dog for the tag. The park and rec department oversees the dog parks and they do permit checks randomly but fairly regularly during the summer, so I don't think there are very many regular offenders, anyway.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Are you sure they're looking for the park tag, not just to find out your dog's name?

If you're worried about it, you could always just say something like "oh, I haven't gotten the tag yet because they don't prorate the annual fee for joining late in the year." Most people would think that's perfectly reasonable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We have a total lack of dog parks in my area. I love the idea of a paid membership towards maintaining the park.

As far as people checking tags go...When I went to purchase a license for my dog, the lady in the town office actually suggested I skip the current year and just license him for 2012 onward because they run Jan-Dec too.

How expensive is a dog park permit?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
In our parks, not only are you required to get a permit from the county, you have to check in with the attendant when you arrive and show it to him or her. The permit is a wallet card rather then a collar tag.. You're also supposed to keep the permit with you while you are in the park, and some people do keep theirs visible in one of those thingies that are used for fishing/hunting licenses. Most folks, though, just carry it in their wallet or their pocket.

As you become a regular user, some of the attendants will get to know you and check you in without actually showing the permit. But some do check it every time you come in. I always have mine on me just in case.

That being the case, if another park user did ask to see my permit, I'd tell them - very politely - to take a hike.

Red: FYI, the permit costs $25, plus to get it, you must show a current dog license, have proof of vaccination , and have proof of neutering for a male dog.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow...I can't imagine they recoup enough in permit fees to pay an attendant to stand there checking permits all the time :/ I sort of think random checks or a self-policing type of system would make more sense....but who am I to judge, I don't even have a dog park where I live. :p

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wow...I can't imagine they recoup enough in permit fees to pay an attendant to stand there checking permits all the time :/ I sort of think random checks or a self-policing type of system would make more sense....but who am I to judge, I don't even have a dog park where I live. :p
One of the off-leash facilities - the one we use most - is located inside a much larger county park. So yes there is an attendant on duty while the facility is open, but the real muscle comes from the park rangers who patrol the park 24/7.

Another facility is located at the AirPark [basically, the county airport]. So in addition to the attendant, all the regular airport personnel are nearby.

There's talk about opening still another facility but that hasn't happened yet.

Actually, our facilities are known for their good security. Quite a few folks come in from outside the county because they know that their dogs will be in a more controlled situation and that "problem dogs" - and the "problem owners" that go with them - will be of less concern than in other off-leash places. So the permit fees do pretty much pay for the attendants.

'Self-policing' sounds like a good idea until you get somebody who refuses to abide by the rules.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts