Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, I ain't feeding nothing made by Purina. I will start feeding Kabota my dinner before I feed Purina. (Which would really be a step down for him.)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Dangit! That is the only thing so far that has been good for Hank's tummy. That said I may keep feeding it for now. Hope the products don't change?

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Well... Toby's screwed...
Can you afford and have storage room to buy several bags now? Most dry foods have a year or so out on the expiry date. That way, you have time to see if they change the formula or move the production facility and if needed, go back to the drawing board on food research.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
And. . .(since I don't see a thread about it and I don't want to make a new one):

Innova has been discontinued, plus several Evo formulas and all California Natural cat foods. Thanks P&G :/.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Can you afford and have storage room to buy several bags now? Most dry foods have a year or so out on the expiry date. That way, you have time to see if they change the formula or move the production facility and if needed, go back to the drawing board on food research.
I have half a bucket left right now, I can go out and grab a large bag tomorrow but I'd started a thread and I'm officially looking for something new... I can't risk them changing it on him, and knowing myself - I'll completely forget about it by the end of the month.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Just saw this on their facebook page ... looks like another one bites the dust :( it sucks because I liked the idea that this food was made locally and owned by an independant company.

https://www.facebook.com/merrickpetcare
If you are looking for something more local I feed Muenster Naturals to Lad and he does well on it. I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus but you can order it online too (better prices in store plus they run sales). They have great customer service. He is eating the Large Breed formula but there is a grain free if you prefer. We tried the chicken and pork as well. I've been really happy with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
And. . .(since I don't see a thread about it and I don't want to make a new one):

Innova has been discontinued, plus several Evo formulas and all California Natural cat foods. Thanks P&G :/.
Natura foods is owned by MARS now P&G sold their brands to them or maybe just Natura I forgot what all happened..

OwnedbyACDs victor brand kibble is made in texas.. I plan to try this brand next found a place that sells it and so far Bella liked the free sample I got.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shell, as long as the bags are stored properly and arent opened or compromised, will they stay fresh?

If you are looking for something more local I feed Muenster Naturals to Lad and he does well on it. I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus but you can order it online too (better prices in store plus they run sales). They have great customer service. He is eating the Large Breed formula but there is a grain free if you prefer. We tried the chicken and pork as well. I've been really happy with it.
Thanks :) I am going to put that on my list, we have a pet supplies plus both in this area and in the flower mound area, so that wont be a problem. I have also put Victor, and Pro Pac Ultimates (their grain free line) on my list, too. Lincoln is the one I am most worried about because Josefina has a tummy made of iron and can eat anything. Luckily I am not feeding Merrick now, but my parents are, I will have to tell them when they get back from vacation. We might be buying one food for the old man, and another for the other two dogs who also have iron stomachs LOL

Natura foods is owned by MARS now P&G sold their brands to them or maybe just Natura I forgot what all happened..

OwnedbyACDs victor brand kibble is made in texas.. I plan to try this brand next found a place that sells it and so far Bella liked the free sample I got.
Yes, its on my list to try, thanks :) I always keep a list just in case something like this happens, its also why I rotate, so I know which foods work for both of our dogs and which dont.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Shell, as long as the bags are stored properly and arent opened or compromised, will they stay fresh?
Sure. That's the point of the expiration dates. Most of them are "best by" dates anyways rather than "Use by". I'd just make sure to check each bag and grab the ones with the furthest out dates and store in a cool dry place. Avoiding rodent problems might an issue if you stack a bunch of bags in the garage or shed, a couple traps around might be a good precaution.

I got a heck of a deal last fall on food at the end of hunting season, $55/bag marked down to $20/bag. I bought 6 bags and fed them through spring, no problem.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure. That's the point of the expiration dates. Most of them are "best by" dates anyways rather than "Use by". I'd just make sure to check each bag and grab the ones with the furthest out dates and store in a cool dry place. Avoiding rodent problems might an issue if you stack a bunch of bags in the garage or shed, a couple traps around might be a good precaution.

I got a heck of a deal last fall on food at the end of hunting season, $55/bag marked down to $20/bag. I bought 6 bags and fed them through spring, no problem.
Ours would be stored in the house, if we did stock up, but we might just switch, since it will be inevitable that we will have to, anyway.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I keep looking at Victor as well but it is harder to find in store and I'm never as happy about ordering online with pet food. I found Muenster and have been really happy with it so I stuck with it. I emailed back and forth with the company for a while to verify that it was good for large breed puppies and was pleased with the customer service. I had wanted to try Propac Large Breed Puppy but I guess they discontinued that formula. I may try one of the other formulas when Lad is closer to 2 though, they carry a couple at Pet Supplies Plus so it isn't too hard to pick up things to try.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I understand that Purina is the evil empire to certain people but I think if you're feeding these foods then you do have time to go to plan "B". I doubt things will change immediately and there is still the production run that they have to finish if things do change. So with that scenario I certainly would go out and buy as much as possible to have on hand as Shell said. I personally don't use these brands but buying from Chewy I usually get bags that are about a year out. Just make sure you check the dates on any bag you buy.

The other thing that may happen is that these brands become a premium food and stay the same but possibly at a higher price point. I would cut the label off the food and have it readily available to compare the new foods going forward along with finding another food if need be.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I keep looking at Victor as well but it is harder to find in store and I'm never as happy about ordering online with pet food. I found Muenster and have been really happy with it so I stuck with it. I emailed back and forth with the company for a while to verify that it was good for large breed puppies and was pleased with the customer service. I had wanted to try Propac Large Breed Puppy but I guess they discontinued that formula. I may try one of the other formulas when Lad is closer to 2 though, they carry a couple at Pet Supplies Plus so it isn't too hard to pick up things to try.
true, but you can ask your local feed store if they would carry it or order it for you, all they can say is no :), thats what I did with I was feeding TOTW, my local feed store where I lived didnt carry it, so I asked them and they obliged. Most feed stores are very nice. They have a store finder here: http://www.victordogfood.com/find_dealer.html where you can find a store based on your zipcode. I just put in my zip, and a bunch of stores came up around SA and San Marcos, I believe you live around the same general area as I do, so you should be able to find a store who carries it.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Purina is figuratively worse than Hitler.
Lol. I love how everyone just rolls right over this like you didn't say anything. I just want to take a moment and say that I appreciate your snark.

I feed Merrick. But it's not like they were super trustworthy to begin with. Their treats get recalled all the fricken time. I easily found 6 articles about their treats being recalled on dogfoodadvisor. (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/?s=merrick) I'm probably going to switch Watson off, mostly because of superstition and a distrust of Purina. My initial reaction was shocked and angry. But I'm trying really hard not to overreact or dramatize, because I'm sure it'll be fine for a while longer. Although I read somewhere that dog food companies have up to a year to change the labeling on their packaging after changing the ingredients of their food, but I can't find the article so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Our mantra guys? Repeat after me: The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.
True. But I also believe everyone should feed a food that they can at least somewhat trust. Is any brand 100% trustworthy? Nah, but some I sure as hell trust more than others. I'd rather feed a food that my dog does good on AND that I feel comfortable feeding. Purina isn't one of those brands for me personally.

As for people ignoring the comment... probably because it added nothing to the discussion really.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I don't see the problem in deciding not to keep a product because you don't like the company it was sold to. I don't even care about or feed Merrick. People have a right to be worried and a little "drama" is just human nature.

I hope that those switching find something that works for their dogs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts