Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have been looking after Sansa since Thursday afternoon just so I could have two days to go out and party and "be a teenager for once" (as they always say) for my birthday. Sansa is scared of horses (reasonably so, the ones near our house are jerks and will murder her, so her fear is healthy) we just got two horses that are being boarded at our house (they're super old and docile so they're animal friendly). Sansa started having one of her panic attacks when she saw the horse and tried to run away. My mom called out to her saying, "Sansa, focus! Sit *hand signal*" And allllll the way across the yard where she was high-tailing it out of there she plunked her little butt down and waited for the next command, "Down." and she laid down and waited until mom caught up with her to leash her and bring her away from what was scaring her.
We'd been working on long-distance sits and downs for the last while with some slow success and she's 100% going to look at you if you say the word "Focus"

She's also wary of children because the first one she met at my house walked up to her, even though she went into her cage to be alone, reached for her face and screamed in it. For no reason. I grabbed the kid before he could grab her in her cage. But holy crap was I grumpy.
So yesterday a little boy was out with the horses and was very scared of her and she was pretty much the same of him. Until he tripped and started crying. She looked at him like he had grown three heads and then very slowly approached him and started licking his face until he started giggling. *Heart melts*

So much pride.
Do you guys have any happy proud-mother moments?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yay Sansa! Good girl :)

Chico and I went to a Pet Valu the other day. It was Adoption Day and there was a bunch of cats and kittens. Chico and I walked over to see them and the cats did the cat curl (not dog friendly cats I guess) and Chico didn't bark or try to run over to them. He was very polite and just went on his merry way. And I guess I was proud. He loves cats and always tries to lick them, but he restrained himself.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha great job for Chico!
Our farm cats both act tough like they're scared of Sansa and puff and hiss when she walks by, but they absolutely love her and chase her around and pretend to stalk her. It might also help that Chico may be smaller than the cats ^.^

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've been working on sitting when we have to wait to cross the street. (Kabota's natural instinct is to walk out into traffic, apparently.) The other day, I stopped, looked down to tell Kabota to sit and he was at my side, already sitting, looking up at me patiently. So proud!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Went on another fundraiser walk yesterday with Manna.
There were more dogs and children running around than I expected. Manna was hyper and wanted to run but she showed enough restraint that I was able to find a slightly less noisy and busy area to wait in before the walk started and practise some sit/stay/downs,

I thought she was being a bit overly distracted and had to be told to focus a few more times than normal but after the walk people were going out of their way to compliment how well behaved she was, and a few kids even got in on the petting. (more like forceful hug because when you pet Manna she inserts herself into your arms trying to be a lap dog).

I just happy she didn't try jumping on the running kids because "kids are the best things ever and should be all hers" lol.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(Kabota's natural instinct is to walk out into traffic, apparently.) QUOTE]

Bahaha, so is Sansa's even if a car is going by she obliviously walks right off into traffic even when I stop at the corner. It's almost comical if it wasn't so dangerous!
But great job this time, Kabota!

And amazing job being composed Manna!

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's something so insanely small, but I'm proud, nonetheless. Brody has finally learned how to shake. :p I'm sure after he's been with us for more than just over two weeks and learns many more things I'll be proud of bigger achievements, but for now!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, just overall lately, I've noticed how much better he is in public and around other people and dogs. When he was a pup (well, younger than now.....lol) he was afraid of EVERYone. We couldn't take him in public without him barking at every person, acting like he was scared too death, etc. He'd see a person in public, and start barking at them, etc.

Well, lately we can take him in public, and he ignores everyone. He just walks along, minding his own business. We were at Petco on Sunday, and there were other dogs in there, and he never barked or acted scared. People were walking all around him, and he was fine. Also, last night my son had a baseball game, and my DH walked him to the game. He had kids and adults running all around him, and he just watched, and wasn't scared. One lady walked close, and he moved towards her, like he wanted to greet her. I just think that all around, he's getting SOOOO much better about handling things, and not squealing at every person who comes near.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It's something so insanely small, but I'm proud, nonetheless. Brody has finally learned how to shake. :p I'm sure after he's been with us for more than just over two weeks and learns many more things I'll be proud of bigger achievements, but for now!
Yay Brody! It's the little things, right? :) We got Bennie Thursday and she learned sit on Friday. We've been practicing a lot with not jumping up to get things she wants, like toys, and sitting instead. We were waiting outside 7-Eleven and a woman walked up and said she was cute, and Bennie could smell her food so she sat! She complimented how well behaved she was and I was so proud even though she's so darn smart I don't think it was me at all!!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great job for Brody, Rigby and Bennie!
It always feels good when the dogs can't speak for themselves and take the credit for just being incredibly intelligent haha!
I love reading these stories!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts