Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have some proud ma'ma bragging for yah and a question.

I went to fort Mcmurray last week with Teagan which is a five hour car drive, she did wonderful. She pretty much just slept the whole time or chewed on her toys or puppy bone. We went to a Motorcross track there because my SO dirtbikes. There were probly 50 bikes there and she did aweosme. No whinning or being scared of the noise or bikes or people which was awesome because she is going to be around lots of dirtbikes in her life time.

Well I took Teagan to the dog park last night. She did so well I was so proud of her, she was not scared at all. I did keep her on a leash most of the time, which she walks beautifuly on with no training, another proud moment for her. Anyways I kept her on the leash so I had more control over her, for her safety. Some of the big dogs would pretty much try to bull dozer over her, or try to play a little rough so it was easy of me to push them away or grab her. And it was my first time ever going to a dog park so I was a little leary about other peoples dogs, But we had no problems at all she had a great time.

now to the question. My Brothers bestfriend Brandon has a four month old GSP puppy Mindy who has severe fear of other dogs, when she was really young she would submssive pee, but I think she has gotten over that. Brandon has taken her to the dog park to try and get her over it, but she just cowers under Brandons legs the whole time and yelps when any of the dogs go near her, now she is good with Teagan so I will be going with them to the dog park so maybe it will be less nerve racking if Mindy is with a familuar dog. I think part of the reason she is like that is because I believe they brought Mindy home between six and seven weeks. So she lost some of that preciouse puppy time.

Do you guys have any great ideas that might help us out and get Mindy a little more braver with other dogs and people.

Thanks Hayley:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
First of all, the WORST thing you can do is take Mindy to the dog park if you want to get her over her fear of other dogs. It is too overwhelming for a fearful dog and you can't control the situation. It could even make her aggressive towards other dogs because she wants them to go away, and the only way she can make that happen is by growling, snarling, and perhaps eventually biting.

You need to SLOWLY desensitize her to other dogs. That means finding other very well-behaved, non-pushy dogs (one at a time, please) and treating and praising her around them. Do NOT force her to go meet other dogs. If she won't take a treat from you, that means she is too frightened and you need to move farther away and try again. The basic idea is to teach her that good things happen in the presence of other dogs. There are several good books on the subject of desensitization and counter-conditioning and I would highly recommend that you look into them. (I particularly like "Help for Your Fearful Dog.")

Again, please don't force her to "face her fears." I promise you, as the owner of a fearful dog, it will not help and could easily make matters worse. Work with her slowly and gently. And the fact is, she may not EVER like to be around lots of other dogs. A lot of dogs don't. But with careful training, she CAN learn to get along with them peacefully and not be reactive.

Good luck!

·
Banned
749 Posts
Taking a dog to a dog park that is fearful of other dogs is a good thing to do IF it is a fenced in dog park and you walk the dog on leash OUTSIDE of the fence where the other dogs are. If the dog wants you to pick them up, do not give in to them. Doing it this way is safer than taking a dog inside a dog park and leaving the dog on leash inside the dog park. After doing it that way several times you will be able to observe if the dog is making an improvement or not with socialization and will be able to tell when the dog is ready for the inside of the dog park OFF LEASH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts