Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we got the puppies, Maggie hasn't been the same. When she is home with only me, she always goes near the puppies. I can see that she is nervous around them, but she isn't intimidated by them. When my mom comes home, she has a very sullen, almost depressed face on and just lays down.

Maggie has recently started peeing sometimes on the carpet. She was completely potty trained, but now it seems she unraveled. It started after my step-dad's dog died. Grief?

Is Maggie this down because of the puppies? I think it's because she feels protective of my mom and she's paying some attention towards the puppies. My mom is trying to balance everything, but Maggie is still depressed. Do you guys have any idea how to help her? (I do let her run and I spend lots of time with her)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Back to housetraining 101 for the peeing. Be sure to clean up with an enzyme cleaner. As for the emotional state...don't even try to figure out the why.....just fix the problem. Listless, depressed, sad are all human emotions and while I certainly wouldn't say that dogs can't be that way, it's not of any value to psycho analyze the why. Medical causes...yes.
You fix the problem by engaging her in activity....something to do....a purpose.
If she was petted everyday by a previous owner, always played a game of tug after suppper every night, chased a ball down the hallway....all those things gave her a purpose. You don't have to do the exact same things....set a new routine. Dogs need and thrive on routine and structure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts