Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Dogs love the outdoors, or at least the ones I know. The point is, dog breeders and owners enjoy taking their dogs on outdoor activities and these activities involve a trip to the park, playground, or beach and even on climbing and boating expeditions. Some breed of dogs loves the water such as Labradors and Golden retrievers.

If any of your outdoor adventures involve the water, make sure that it’s only you that have safety gear on. You dog too should have his own and a dog life jacket is just the right thing for a weekend of sun and sea. Just like humans, not all dogs know how to swim. This is a common misconception, possibly because of the swim stroke which is referred as dog paddle. Some dogs such as pinchers, Doberman and boxers can have trouble in water while some dogs just do not like being in the water and will swim only if forced into it.

The ability of a dog to swim varies greatly according to the breed, its size as well as its physical ability and health. If your dog is a young pup, you need a more gentle approach to introduce your dog to the water. Start with a wading pool and gradually move on to something bigger such as the beach. Water condition should be looked into. Wading pools has more gently and calm water movement so this is the best starting point for your small pup. Too much movement can end up making the dog anxious and this might further complicate the process of introduction for the dog.

By having a dog life jacket on your dog, it can provide peace for not only yourself, but extra protection for your dog as these jackets are safety measures while doing outdoor activities. Life jackets will keep your dog afloat and avoid drowning, reduce anxiety and disorientation if they fall on the water. Human or dog, life jackets come in handy to everyone. It is an important piece of equipment and is a statutory element in boats, ferries, planes and any vehicle.

Putting on a life jacket for your dog for the first time will be a little uncomfortable for him. Before setting out for your adventure to the outdoors, get your dog used to the life jacket by putting it on him while at home. The comforts of being at home will enable your dog to get comfortable with the jacket a lot better rather than if done outside. Make sure that their first life jacket and water experience would be pleasant. This would help them to learn to love the water.

In selecting a life jacket for your dog, there are some guidelines and features to consider and remember such as the size and weight of the dog for life jacket. The materials used are also important so get something that is breathable and durable. Never let your pet wearing it unattended as they might get entangled and get a life jacket that has buoyancy ratings.

This is just some friendly advice. Summer is right around the corner! :)

·
Banned
363 Posts
Our only problem is keeping the mutt out of the water. Last w/e he jumped into a creek, got swept thru a culvert and popped up the other side of the road, no harm done. [Do not try this at home]. He seemed to enjoy his trip actually.

The affinity some dogs have for the water is incredible. Even at 12 weeks old he would walk into neck deep water with absolutely zero hesitation, as if he had been doing it all his life.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well.. i'd be afraid the life jacket could limit the dogs movements in the water,or a branch could tangle up with the restrains in the life jacket.. i wouldn't be willing to take that chance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
WoW! 12 weeks huh! It good that some dogs get used to the water at a young age. my worry is that my dog wouldn't understand the consequences. lol

Our only problem is keeping the mutt out of the water. Last w/e he jumped into a creek, got swept thru a culvert and popped up the other side of the road, no harm done. [Do not try this at home]. He seemed to enjoy his trip actually.

The affinity some dogs have for the water is incredible. Even at 12 weeks old he would walk into neck deep water with absolutely zero hesitation, as if he had been doing it all his life.
Yeah, but on most of the dog life jackets these days are made with the lower legs free to move around.

Well.. i'd be afraid the life jacket could limit the dogs movements in the water,or a branch could tangle up with the restrains in the life jacket.. i wouldn't be willing to take that chance

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'd be a lot more impressed if your first and only post wasn't with a sig that linked to a site selling life jackets for dogs. (And not even a useful one- just a spammy ad site.)

Fact is, while life jackets are great for most dogs, they're also overkill for most recreational shore activities where dogs are going to be in and out of the water.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am a heavy duty boater and my doberman was a avid swimmer, his long legs gives him a great stroke. I think dogs like a pug or bull dogs would tend to have more difficulty. My dobie past away of old age not drowning. I do always keep life vest aboard, but do not make them wear them unless conditions dictate. If a dog goes over board he will not sink like a rock. During hot wheather it can get uncomfortable and hot for the dogs. JMO

·
Banned
363 Posts
OK slight change in subject, but assuming your dog is a good swimmer, and does not have a life jacket on, what is the best way of getting him back into the boat (assume a small rowboat/punt) ?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
OK slight change in subject, but assuming your dog is a good swimmer, and does not have a life jacket on, what is the best way of getting him back into the boat (assume a small rowboat/punt) ?
A lot of upper body strength is needed.

Coming from a background that used throwing the kid in the water to swim I have never been worried about dogs and have never been disappointed.

Dogstar you're more adventurous than I care to be with links. I do think you hit the nail on the head.

I am not against safety, in fact I just installed some tiny water globes that fit over my goldfishes heads, that way if they jump out of bowl they will be fine.:D

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
my 2 water dogs for goosing wear life jackets ALL the time when we are goosing....they can be on a large pond sometimes an hr chasing the geese off and i would hate to think what could happen if they're out in the middle when they get tired....and calling them off the water when not all the geese have flown is totally impossible (bring a sack lunch cuz it can take a while the 1st couple times on a new pond:D)...

2 yrs ago, when Tir was on the river the life jacket was a mixed blessing/downfall....it kept her afloat when she was getting tired out, but it also meant that she wasn't coming off the river cuz she was able to slow/speed-up as needed....the bad thing was if the geese that were there lead her into the faster current she w/could have been swept down river to the dam.....luckily some neighbours took me out in their boat and we got her out of the river (1 1/2 hrs later)....got her on board, she shook off and headed for the water to continue her job:D:rolleyes:....(caught her b/4 she could go over but she almost took me w/ her)

they don't limit the movements and i can't see how they could get tangled in branches, etc that easily....the straps, fit properly, are pretty snug....

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I am not against safety, in fact I just installed some tiny water globes that fit over my goldfishes heads, that way if they jump out of bowl they will be fine.:D
Oh, WV, I can always look to you for some smarta$$ comment to make me laugh! Unfortunately, I can really picture you doing this! ;)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Oh, WV, I can always look to you for some smarta$$ comment to make me laugh! Unfortunately, I can really picture you doing this! ;)
Hey
Putting those globes on is hard as the little head straps get slippery etc. But I do enjoy making you laugh.

I would never tell anybody not to be safe with their dogs. It's one of those personal decisions that owners have to make.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The OP may be advertising ... don't know ... at any rate, since we're in doggy retail I can buy wholesale.
DJ, my small mixed dog does wear a life jacket when we're boating on the river. He's never been one to get near the water, so I don't keep it on him unless we're on the boat, tho maybe I probably should & will this summer whenever we're at the cabin on the river.
I am considering getting one for our newly adopted large mixed dog too. She's weimeraner & GSP, both of which are normally good swimmers I believe, but she's a year & 1/2 & doesn't seem to have had any water experience at all. The few times we've had her up the river with us, she was hesitant of the water, but last time did get in to wade a bit. DJ wont even go that far.

Keep in mind that the river is much different than creeks or ponds & even lakes because of the very strong current which can wear out even a very strong swimmer very quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts