Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PWD, Nirvana just had surgery today for a muscle flap in his pelvis. The vet saw what looks like prostate cancer on the sonogram and did a biopsy at the same time. She said there were no enlarged nodes but suspected prostate cancer to be confirmed over the next few days. I am assuming this is early stage if it is indeed cancer and the only information that I can find on prognosis is in dogs that have symptoms. The life expectancy that I found is between 30 days and 6 weeks. Can anyone tell me what the expentancy would be if the cancer was found early? I am heading back from Switzerland to Michigan in the middle of November and he will be flying back to Michigan during that time. I don't know what I should be doing since he is already having problems from hip dysplasia and arthritis. Surgery to remove the prostate will be out of the question and I just want him to be comfortable and live what remains of his life without pain and discomfort. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
fist off I want to say I'm sorry this is happening to your dog. :( I just had my first dog put down in june at 11 years old, because of prostate cancer.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if he really does have PC I would have him put down before he progresses. My dog Grizzly got to where he was asking to go out all the time, then he couldn't go, or he would go like 100 times! PC is not some thing to mess around with.

With hip dysplasia, arthritis, AND PC a plane ride would be very stressfull on him.

(HUGS)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts