Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I am currently helping a good friend find a companion dog. He lives alone (lost his wife last Nov.) and is a farmer. He has cows and crops. He lives out in the middle of nowhere. He is a very active gentleman and does not have a 9-5 to job so the pup would be with him or he would be near most of the time. I would be helping him with OB and socialization, potty training etc. I have been researching Aussie dogs and it sounds like a good fit for him, he also likes the breed. I was just looking for some honest opinions about living with an Aussie. I have read alot on the Internet, but sometimes people sugar coat things or over play some things. If anyone could just tell me the pros and cons from their personal experiences with Aussie dogs it would be great. Thanks for your time and help with this! :)

Christina

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Well, the only con I can think of is the shedding. That's the only thing I wish they did less of. But I enjoy everything else about them, so some things I might see as pros other people would see as cons (intense drive, for example).

Pros:
Sooooo intelligent
Intensely loyal to their people
Mine were never obsessive barkers
I had an easy time training them
I love having dogs that were always up for anything (besides swimming haha)

Will he be using the dog as a working dog or just for companion?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Chewing was the only thing that drove me nuts with my aussie. You'll want to nip that in the butt right away.

With that taken care of, they're amazing dogs. Incredible easy to train. It's definitely a good idea to give them a job though. They're too smart to be left to their own devices.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It sounds like the perfect breed for this situation. I agree that the biggest con is the mouthing. There is a dairy farm a couple of miles from my house and Ranger loves walking there and just sitting and watching the cows.

Both aussies I have had have been "velcro dogs" and great for companionship. And they love to work. Ranger has taken it upon himself to keep birds out of our yard.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think that would be an awesome situation for an Aussie . Very loyal and eager to please . I never had major chewing issues with Red.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Aussies need loads of exercise; frisbee, catch, walks, agility and such. Puppies and adults may nip at ankles or feet and may herd cats, kids or other animals in the house. Some love walks, some love exercise in their yards. All are avid chewers. Some love water and some despise water activities. The girls shed loads and the boys lots less. The boys are more of diggers/wanderers in my experience. If you are very busy with a day job and have limited time, and come home exhausted from work, an Aussie isn't for you, at all. They need people with lots of time and energy for their needs.

They are all best friends, loyal, sensitive, intelligent, loving, velcro dogs. They want to be with their people at all times. They aren't yard dogs, nor are they for people who don't want a medium sized dog sharing the sofa with them. Aussies like to think they are just like people!!:D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I agree with all the pros that have been mentioned. George was the most awesome companion!
I never had any problems with George digging or chewing, but that's just a difference between individual dog personalities. But a couple things for your friend to keep in mind is that they do need a lot of socializing. Also regular grooming.
All in all, it sounds to me like an Aussie would be a good fit for your friends situation. As far as I'm concerned, with appropriate exercise, training, socializing, grooming & lotsa love to give, they're absoultely great comapnion dogs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts