Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the severe budget shortfall, Gov Schwarzeneggar has proposed a sales tax of up to 10% on veterinary services. As you might expect, this has been opposed by veterinary associations, animal welfare associations and a lot of citizen's groups. The Gov feels that this is basically a "luxury tax", but the vets and animal welfare groups argue that so many people are struggling to pay their bills as it is, this tax will lead to more abandoned animals when folks can't afford the vet bills. Animals will not get proper care. The number of spay and neuterings will decline and the number of unwanted puppies and kittens will increase.

The Governor's office has a phone number that you can call to express your opposition to this tax. It's an automated number that takes less than a minute. The number connects you directly with the Gov's office, not some 3rd party organization.

I would encourage all of us, especially the California folks to call:

The number is 916 445-2841
when prompted, push
1 - for English
5 - for hot issues
1 - for veterinary tax proposal
2 - to oppose.

I almost never get involved with these things, but this is something very dear to my heart.

For those not in Ca (but in the US), a lot of stuff starts here and spreads across the country. If we can stop this tax here, then hopefully the rest of you won't have to deal with it.

Here's the url of the Cal Veterinary Medical Association site with more info:
http://www.cvma.org/

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That is absurd! And although I miss the people and all the lovely dogs we met and the beautiful scenery, it's one more reason I'm glad I no longer live in CA! I bet Gray Davis is a little miffed. Where's the recall petition for Arnold?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Apparently, he considers providing an animal with healthcare as a 'luxury'. That's repulsive.

I hope you CA folks can stop it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have a feeling this is just another sneaky way for the anti-animal lobby (aka PeTA and their ilk) to try and end pet ownership in California.

If this keeps up CA stands to lose a lot of income from dog shows because they'll go elsewhere especially the big shows like the AKC/Eukanuba Championship held in Long Beach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts