Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the practice of doing gastropexy surgery (to prevent stomach torsion in potentially bloat-probe dogs) the time of spay/neuter? Under what, if any, circumstances would you have it done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
Dogs will still bloat even if the surgery is done. Some will still even have a torsion. I would not do it as a preventative.

Bloat kills first by changing blood chemistry which causes a heart arrhythmia and then, even if the bloat is rectified, the dog will still die.

If bloat is detected and not rectified within a half hour of onset the dog likely won't make it. If a dog does bloat and get surgery if he/she is not up and bouncing back within 12 hours post-op the dog will likely not make it. Just my observation.

Causes and prevention are all over the map....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,384 Posts
I personally would not do it, just to do it to a healthy dog

My Major who had digestive issues from a puppy by the time he was 3 years old had a server pancreatitis attack and they tacked his stomach down. That surgery only kept his stomach from flipping.. He still had digestive issues that were causing the inflammation to his digestive track. He was still in danger that his intestines would twist just like the stomach due to the digestive problems stress of the inflamation.. But with the intestines you wouldn't know (see) it as easily that it had happened as you would if the stomach had twisted. Which made it even more dangerous, that I was at the ER more often during a bad episode for him.

Getting Major on cooked then raw, gave his system the time to heal completely, and not have digestive upsets , that was the solution was to restore his health.

The contract dogs several years back made it mandatory that all dogs have it done by vet recommendations. (these are healthy dogs no chronic medical conditions) And it has not caused complications during their time in service as they are at least almost 2 years old and are retired by 8 or 9 years old.

Adding content: Major never twisted,, just always the chronic inflammation and gas build up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,456 Posts
I'm not sure if I could justify having the surgery done as a preventative. Not only for the cost on my part, but putting the dog through a surgery that isn't necessary seems wrong. A lot of breeds are prone to bloat, but most of them never experience it.

I suppose if I had had a dog die from bloat I might get the surgery done proactively, but I can't think of any other reason.

Edit - also if my dog was having surgery already to fix a bloat issue, I would probably get them to do the surgery to prevent it at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
I have friends who have had a pexy done on their dogs as prevention against possible torsion if they bloated, and know of someone else who had it done during surgery when their dog bloated. All of the dogs involved are/were Dobermans, who as a breed are prone to GDV. The dog who had the surgery after a bloat incident went on to bloat three more times, but thanks to the surgery was never any torsion.

I didn't do it when my GSD was spayed, mainly because I couldn't afford it. I just hope that decision never comes back to bite me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,932 Posts
I would have it done in any high-risk breed I owned, at the time of s/n or other surgery provided I could afford it. It's really that simple for me. I would not break the bank, I would not do an additional surgery, but otherwise? Yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm trying to decide for Jet. Right now I'm leaning no, because it'd turn a quick, routine neuter into a more complicated surgery with more risk and a longer recovery - it's not like a spay or a cryptorchid neuter surgery where they'd be opening the abdominal cavity up already. But that "what if?" factor is giving me huge pause.

I've got a while to decide, anyway - he's not getting snipped until he's full grown, and even then I'm not in a big hurry, since it's not a management issue at this time. I've been encouraged to try conformation with him, which would be another reason to delay, but I just cannot deal with that poodle show coat, ugh.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top