Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie, and this is my first post/

I have a Siberian Husky/Akita X and a purebred Siberian Husky and I was wondering what would be the proper type brush to use for grooming. Right now I have a rake brush but I wanted to buy a FURminator (I don't know if I should use the one for short or long hair because their coats are medium). If anyone who owns a Nordic breed could tell what they use that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't use a furminator and I don't recommend a furminator for anyone who has a double coated breed as it pulls and rips the guard hairs. If you do use one - I wouldn't use one for more than 10-15 minutes every few days or a few times a week and only on te parts with the most fur.

Otherwise an undercoat rake and greyhound comb and curry brushes and zoom grooms are other tools

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I also refuse to use furminators.

For my Icie I use an undercoat rake, a slicker brush, and a curry comb. I also have a pin brush but I rarely use it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the help. I was going to buy the FURminator so I'm glad I read this first. I was just worried that the rake was too harsh on the dog's skin..even if the hair is thick. Just looking for something extra to help with the shedding, but not ruin the coat.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The furminator is essentially an over priced clipper blade on a handle. I know people really like the thing, but to me its a waste of money.

I agree with the others, that an undercoat rakes, slickers, zoom grooms, etc are better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts