Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
She walks 3 miles a day. If she stops every 10 feet for 1 minute each stop, the walks will take 4 hours. I don't think so. I know where my old dog stops to sniff; I let her stop there.
You do know there is a happy medium somewhere between stopping every ten feet for a full minute and being only allowed to stop a few limited times?

I am asking the following question as a real question, not sarcasm or rhetorical--- what at all connection is there between where your old dog stops to sniff and where your puppy who is just learning about the world is allowed to sniff? Scents change-- new dogs and cats come in and out of a neighborhood, dogs have different sniffing priorities, seasons change scents, even just the difference between trash/recycle day vs not makes a difference in what attracts a dog's nose.

Sniffing works the mind, it adds a lot of value to a walk. A regular human paced walk is minimally for exercise for a young healthy dog and more for learning, experiencing. I like to train "Let's go" or "Walk on" and will mentally count down say, 20 or 30 seconds at a spot before asking for walk on. I keep the time consistent and the dogs tend to pick up on the idea that they get a bit of time to sniff but can't spend all day there either.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
today a 2.5 mile was was like walking a real dog. Sure hope it stays that way.
Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but to me there often seems to be a strong underlying current of inappreciation between you and your puppy. I'm pretty sure she's actually a "real dog" already, always has been, you merely need to learn to accept her as such - including faults, virtues, trials and tribulations. That's just the way dogs are. Individuals. And imperfect.

BKmuttley had excellent advice here in another recent thread.

Please stop comparing her to your previous dogs. She is who she is. NOT any other dog, related or not. Such comparisons will doom her to failure & you to frustration.

<edit>

But in the end, I will ask you - point blank - if this dog in some way fails to live up to YOUR preconceived notions of what she should do/be, what then? You've posted on more than one occasion to *your* disappointment that she isn't more dog social than she is. Will this 'lack of swimming ability/drive' be one more thing to disappoint you? Are you willing to STOP judging her for who & what you WANT her to be & love the dog that she IS? She's only a PUPPY, still developing in mind & body. Will you love her & allow her to grow into the dog she is meant to be (while helping to **gently** mold/socialize her)?

If so, the longer you continue to push, shove, force & demand she fit into your 'ideal', the less likely you're going to see any approximation of what you actually want.
http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-forum/488201-dog-still-wont-go.html

Remember, we seldom get the dog we want. We get the dog we need. Think about it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
What's the point of walking the dog if you're not going to let the dog enjoy it and explore along the way? Human-paced walking isn't much physical exercise for a biggish active dog, so if you also cut out the mental exercise part of it, it's kind of a waste of time where the dog is concerned.

"Like a real dog." Jeez. I really hope this pup has someone in her life who actually likes her.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stop trying to get a set number of miles in. Sniffing is the way dogs take in the world. I typically go out with my guy for 45 minutes but a lot of that might just be wandering around at a nearby park sniffing. We might only go .5 miles but it's ever so much more enriching than force marching him down the road would be. Your pup does not need a pronged collar instead you need to focus on your pups needs, not your own expectations.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I read once that not letting a dog sniff on a walk is the equivalent of someone blindfolding you, putting a collar and leash on you, and dragging you down the street. That really resonated with me, 100% accurate or not. Yes I understand that you don't want to let the dog spend 25 minutes sniffing one spot at the end of the driveway and then go back in, but allow her time to investigate and sniff around when she wants.

The common theme in your post here is that you want this puppy to be exactly like your senior dog. But you are forgetting that your senior dog was not always what she was in her prime.

Let her be a puppy. Let her enjoy her walks. She's still young to be forcing her to walk x amount of miles in x amount of time, in my opinion. Instead of using excessive physical activity to tire her out (I'm guessing this is why you insist on walking her so much so fast), try brain games, training, etc. A dozen tricks at 7 months old really isn't much at all, so there is plenty to learn. And letting her sniff on her walks will actually wear her out more than you would think.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts