Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a couple of programmable dog feeders for my two Labrador mix buddies.
Everything I can find is constructed of plastic which, as you might guess, would last about as long as a snowflake in the Amazon. I don't mind spending money for a product, but I do expect it to have a reasonable lifespan.
Mama and I are retired now, and would like to be able to get away for a few days to visit children and grandchildren without bothering friends to feed "the critters". I've located nice Pet Mate feeders for our feline family members, but have come up empty for the dogs.
Can anyone recommend an programmable feeder which might work for us?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You might have trouble having your question answered because most people on this forum will not condone leaving a dog alone and unsupervised for more than 10-12 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Jen2010, and to set your mind at ease, we are normally home with the dogs since we are both retired. On the rare occasions when we do leave for more than a day, we have friends/family tend the dogs & cats, but would like to find an alternate option for a 1-2 day visit. The dogs have a heated/air conditioned kennel with separate outdoor runs, so are only minimally abused. I hope someone else can actually provide a helpful remedy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/outdoors/hunting/wildlife-feed--feeders/deer-feeders

Take your pick, use PVC pipe to route the food into a container, or multiple containers with some models.

Large capacity, feeds at set time or set intervals depending on the model. Yes they handle kibble just fine, I use one when I leave my dogs for up to a week (with someone to check on the daily.) My son can come once a day but, the dogs eat twice a day so, a game feeder works well. If it runs out, he can refill it and, it does hold 50 lbs at a time. Not ideal but, sometimes you don't have an choice. Just have someone come by and check that the dogs have water and, there is still food in the feeder. Make sure the feeder is dispensing food properly by using it the day before you go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about a PVC conduit from outside the pen, although PVC can also become a 'chew toy', so possibly a galvanized or other material may also work. Great suggestion, since it appears that the manufacturers of these devices have never owned Labradors. ;-) Maybe you should consider a patent?!?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts