Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many hours a day do you spend with one dog? What do you do with the dog? do you implement exercise as well? and how much per day?

I am not sure if I am over walking my dogs and not spending enough time training.

I am walking my dogs 3-4 hours 7 days a week and I am starting to think that is a little extreme

Thank you P

·
Registered
740 Posts
How many hours a day do you spend with one dog? What do you do with the dog? do you implement exercise as well? and how much per day?

I am not sure if I am over walking my dogs and not spending enough time training.

I am walking my dogs 3-4 hours 7 days a week and I am starting to think that is a little extreme

Thank you P
What kind of dogs do you have and what are their ages?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rottweiler 1 1/2 years

Doberman 1 1/2 years

Jack Russel 4 years

·
Registered
740 Posts
Rottweiler 1 1/2 years

Doberman 1 1/2 years

Jack Russel 4 years
Very cool,

The exercise needs of each dog will vary based on breed and the temperament/personality of each individual dog. If your dog is able to sleep soundly through the night, and is not acting out/having behavioural problems, and generally seems content throughout the day, then I think you are exercising them enough. If they start to get nippy, barking, chewing on inappropriate objects, jumping on people and other dogs, then they likely have excess energy and need some longer or faster tempo walks.

You just need to observe your dogs and see what their 'happy medium' is. Given the breeds, they would need at least an hour walk a day, but I think 3-4 hours is too much of straight walking/running. If it's 3-4 hours with a lot of it just lounging at the park or beach then that's different, but pure exercise I think it could put a strain on their joints for when their older.

Mental stimulation can be just as tiring as physical exercise, so try to bring your dogs out with you on your errands, and do a lot of training and socialization outside of your home. Buy them 'smart' toys, and stuff their dinner kibble in them so they have to work and think to get at it. Even if a dog gets a lot of physical exercise, they will always need mental stimulation to feel sane lol

·
Registered
9,307 Posts

Thank you P
I think it's extreme.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think that's normal :)

I have several high energy dogs, so most of the day is spent training, exercising, games, and going for walks.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Is the 3-4 hours divided amongst the three? Or do you walk them all together at the same time? Personally ... I have three dogs and they get walked about 45 minutes one way ... separately... per day ... very early mornings and at/after dark in the evenings. But we also train in short sessions and play games in between.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the 3-4 hours is at once with all three of them. I appreciate all the input yet I am starting to think I need less time walking and more time strengthen there physiological development. I am just kind of wondering if I should be able to tackle all of my dogs all three of their training with 5 days a week and less walking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to utilize my time and energy the most beneficial and efficient way to satisfy my dogs and myself. Get a schedule of what I need to do and what needs to be worked on and I am spending almost all my time and energy walking.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just want to utilize my time and energy the most beneficial and efficient way to satisfy my dogs and myself. Get a schedule of what I need to do and what needs to be worked on and I am spending almost all my time and energy walking.
Hmmm if you want to do other type of activities, maybe you can take all three to an agility camp? Maybe once every two weeks or something just so they get to jump and do other things that will help strengthen. it's also good mental stimulation because you have to train them to run these courses.

If you want to organize your time better, I would create a schedule so you can make sure that each dog is getting some one-on-one time, and you can distribute your energy evenly.

For example, you can maybe make a habit of walking them always first thing in the morning, and a shorter walk when you come home from work. Then, after dinner, maybe you can spend 15 minutes with each dog individually teaching tricks/obedience commands, so that will take you an hour. Then the rest of the evening you can play with them, reinforce the training you taught them, grooming, socialization. On the weekends, maybe you can do more interesting things like take them to obstacle courses, ravines, parks, etc.

I'm really type A personality so I love having schedules and agendas, but I think balance is key, and just making sure your dogs are fufilled in every area: I'm very biased towards a holistic perspective on a dog's well being:

1. Good health and diet
2. Good exercise
3. Opportunity to rest/relax
4. Alone time with you one-on-one
5. Play
6. Socialization
7. Training/Obedience

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to thank all of you especially chubby. How many hours a day do you think drug and bomb dogs work?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts