Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i'm almost getting the impression, now, that that is the reason for this topic to begin w/....they were looking for ways to torture the dog....and asking people her for "new" ways to do it....

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
He told me I'm a lunatic. That's the first time I've been called that.
Hmmm.. The first time?? REALLY???????

Considering the OP's last post about the cowardly acts of freezing the dog, cattle prodding him while crated, paint ball gun while crated.. etc etc. I am beginning to see the neighbor's point.... :p

·
Administrator
12,594 Posts
Then again, if I were shoveling snow and a dog came up to me in an aggressive manner I would stand my ground, then use the shovel on him if he came 'at' me, self defence is self defence.
Are ya shoveling a lot of snow in San Diego, Carla?

To the OP: Only a small handful of people on this forum will have the patience to read your incredibly long posts. Sorry, I'm not one of them.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Are ya shoveling a lot of snow in San Diego, Carla?

To the OP: Only a small handful of people on this forum will have the patience to read your incredibly long posts. Sorry, I'm not one of them.

LOL, only if ya live in the mountains. I did plenty of it in northern VA though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My Golly Carla I am glad you got on here and said this.

The cattle prod is to frighten the dog if he comes after you. Tying a dog up or caging him and repeatedly hitting him with the prod is unbelievably cruel.. as are any of the other ideas (tying him out back, crating him and nailing him with a paint ball gun, letting your dogs kill him and possibly get injured themselves in the process etc.). Those actions are the actions of a COWARD.. and no better than the neighbor who does not train this dog or care for him.

The owners are stupid and you may be angry but this is NOT THE DOG'S FAULT. Fact is MOST dog behavior is the result of ignorant owners, and not the fault of the dog.

Most dogs will get zapped ONE TIME by a cattle prod and NEVER come back. Same with the electric fence.

Better to just catch, crate and take to the HS if you are that over the top about it that you would torture the dog. GEEZE.... You got to be better than the neighbor, right?
All I wanted was for the dog to leave me alone. Anyway, I called the SPCA this morning and they said they don't pick up dogs and that I would have to bring him in myself. I was wondering how I would get the dog there in my station wagon. So then I phoned Animal Control and gave the dispatcher my phone number and a little later a constable phoned me back and I talked quite awhile with him, explaining my problem with my neighbor's dog. He told me some options: 1. They could talk to the neighbor and send him a letter. 2. They could trap the dog and impound him and the neighbor would then have to pay an impound fee, plus fines for having the dog at large, threatening people, etc. I told him about this trap I've ordered and he said they have some of those and he knows about it and that a live trap is better because dogs don't like the Collarum trap and put up quite a fight. He said that they'd loan me a trap to use to trap my neighbor's dog. He then asked me what I wanted them to do about this and I told him to try talking to the neighbor and send the letter and then to wait and see if they're going to smarten up and if not, to wait till summer when it's nice and warm and there's no snow to trap the dog. I said that summer is better to trap him because right now the snow is too deep. He then said that he'd be talking to them either today or tomorrow. So, anyway at around noon, I was inside with my dogs and then my dogs went nuts, barking so I went outside to see what was going on and saw a yellow coat next door, (the constable's uniform). I then figured it would be safe to go shovel my driveway while he was there so I did that. He was there quite a while and, as we speak, I don't know if he's still there.

So this is the up to the minute update on this.

I had thought about the cattle prod and I don't really know if it would teach the dog anything, except to be more aggressive and to fear people.

I only wanted to protect myself so I could shovel out my driveway. I am not a person who wants to torture dogs. I don't have my dogs going over there.

Anyway, I saw the neighbor's dog over here again at around 11:30 AM and then I guess it must have been about an hour or so later that the constable was over there. I haven't zapped my neighbor's dog, or let him in here, or trapped him.

I was getting so frustrated about this problem that I went on Google to see if I could find some advice on the internet, if somebody else had the same or similar problem and how they handled it. One search result was a thread from a few years ago on this dog forum of someone who had a similar problem but not exactly the same as mine.

Anyway, getting others ideas helped me a lot. Now I hope that this dog will be leaving me alone.

It's better to let the animal control take care of their dog now. The constable said the dog is at large and threatening people and that is against the by-laws and there are fines for that and the dog will be impounded if they don't smarten up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.