Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
RIGHT NOW get yourself a cattle prod and go about your business and if Mr. Neighbor's dog comes for you give him a taste of the business end of the cattle prod.

Next, come spring, put up an electric fence. Dogs HATE HATE HATE to be shocked and a low impedance fence controller (weed burner) will get the message across. Set up an electric fence so that when Mr. Neighbor's dog comes over and starts to run the fence he will get zapped. REALLY zapped if you have the right controller. He may leave for the next township or county or whatever the jurisdictional delineation is in Alberta!

If the dog does nto like things in peopkle's hands there is a good bet from me that they (his owners) hit him with sticks.

You cannot train Mr. Neighbor and you cannot train Mr. Neighbor's dog. You can set off a couple of sparks and electrify the situation yourself.

The point of this is to badly Firghten Mr. Neighbor's dog and keep him away. It won't fix stupidity (I have never figured out yet how to train stupid out of a human being) and it won't make the dog a good dog.

It will make sure he leaves you and your place the heck alone.

You can do all the other stuff too, but it is far less expensive and more expeditious to do something that the dog will so dislike he does not come back.

...and if you keep the cattle prod handly you might get lucky and be able to use it on the Dog's owners. :eek:

BTW if you get a prod with variable settings go for "High..."

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
One thing to remember.. once a dog has learned you WILL run away, he is going to be reinforced every time you do. It is now fun and a game for the dog (even if he bites.. that is prey drive).

I have no idea how large you are and how large the dog is and I would not want you to get bitten (tho if you DID it would then be YOU calling RCMP for the dog bite thing). I just wonder if you stood your ground.. stood sideways to the dog and did not move if he would find that boring and leave. Again, don't set yourself up for a bite. It is just that a running target is a lot more fun to bite and chase then a non moving target.

In the painting idea.. paint you can apply with a brush might be toxic while paint from a paint ball gun probably is not.

I do know I would have that cattle prod and that electric fence and this problem would be a non problem. It is more a people problem than a dog problem.. but if you can get the dog out of the way you can elect to have nothing more to do with the people and let it all go.

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
My Golly Carla I am glad you got on here and said this.

The cattle prod is to frighten the dog if he comes after you. Tying a dog up or caging him and repeatedly hitting him with the prod is unbelievably cruel.. as are any of the other ideas (tying him out back, crating him and nailing him with a paint ball gun, letting your dogs kill him and possibly get injured themselves in the process etc.). Those actions are the actions of a COWARD.. and no better than the neighbor who does not train this dog or care for him.

The owners are stupid and you may be angry but this is NOT THE DOG'S FAULT. Fact is MOST dog behavior is the result of ignorant owners, and not the fault of the dog.

Most dogs will get zapped ONE TIME by a cattle prod and NEVER come back. Same with the electric fence.

Better to just catch, crate and take to the HS if you are that over the top about it that you would torture the dog. GEEZE.... You got to be better than the neighbor, right?

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
He told me I'm a lunatic. That's the first time I've been called that.
Hmmm.. The first time?? REALLY???????

Considering the OP's last post about the cowardly acts of freezing the dog, cattle prodding him while crated, paint ball gun while crated.. etc etc. I am beginning to see the neighbor's point.... :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.